cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Row Level Security - conflicting roles

I have a situation where there is directly conflicting roles in a Power BI report - the same user as part of both of these roles.

Take the following data:

RLS  Conflict.PNG

User 1 is part of the following 2 roles:

Role 1: [Department] = "IT"

Role 2: [Team] <> "Database"

Based on role 1, the user should only see rows 1-3 above, and according to role 2 the user should see rows 2-4.

When I tested as the user; they could see rows 1-3, i.e. Role 1. Role 2 is being ignored.

My purpose here is entirely to test conflicts in RLS; it appears that Role 1 has taken precedence over Role 2. Can anybody confirm if this is expected behaviour? If anything I would have expected the roles to merge to either show all data, or just show rows 2 & 3.

Is there any logic as to which role takes precedence: Role 1 was created first and is last alphabetically, is one of these factors what made it take precedence in this case?

I know grand rule is to create better roles that don't conflict - but for when users make mistakes and create conflicting roles, it would be useful to know how Power BI handles this to help identify conflicts easier.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Row Level Security - conflicting roles

@PetyrBaelish 

Based on my test, the user will have a consolidated view of both roles.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Row Level Security - conflicting roles

@PetyrBaelish 

Based on my test, the user will have a consolidated view of both roles.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 343 members 3,585 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: