Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security VS URL filter in Power BI Embedded

Hi All,

We are new to Power BI. In our current Reporting platform which is not power BI , we pass value from salesforce and filter data in reporting tool by using where/filter clause and show the same to end user

We are planning to use Power BI. Please suggest few things :

1. What is the best approach if we need to embedd report in Salesforce and need to filter data. Url filter or Row Level Security?

2. Is there any way to change Visualization on slicer selection ?

3. We have huge data and we need to show current as well as historical report to user . Will import or direct query work. Direct query is slow and some functionality cross tab/transpose/pivot/unpivot is not available whereas import has cache limitation. ?

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous on 2nd question, I'm afraid that you can replace the visual on selecting slicers, to achieve such functionality, you can use buttons and bookmarks, which allows to switch between different visuals. You can see this approach at this link

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. What is the best approach if we need to embedd report in Salesforce and need to filter data. Url filter or Row Level Security?

2. Is there any way to change Visualization on slicer selection ?

3. We have huge data and we need to show current as well as historical report to user . Will import or direct query work. Direct query is slow and some functionality cross tab/transpose/pivot/unpivot is not available whereas import has cache limitation?

1. To embed a power bi report in Salesforce, please refer to this blog which describes in details. If you need filter data, I think you could use slicer when you create the report. 

In addition, I'm afraid that you may have confused about report url filter and Row level scecurity

To filter that report page, you could use the Filters pane on the report canvas. Or you could add query string parameters to the URL to pre-filter the report. 

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI Desktop restricts data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level.

2. I have a little confused about your second question. Normally, we could use slicer to filter the data in visuals in the report. What is changing visualizations based on slicer? 

3. I'm afraid that if your data source is Salesforce, you will not have the import and the direct query mode to choose when you get data in Power BI as it is the online source.

If your data is very large, I'm afraid that it will be affected when you publish it to Power BI Service. In Power BI Desktop, it seems that no datasize limitations.There is a 1 GB limit, per dataset, that is imported into Power BI.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thanks a lot for the Reply.

1. We have one table containing all user data . We are going to Embedd report in Salesforce. User will not have access to Power BI workspace so unable to edit the filter in url.

Should we use filter in URL or Row level security to restict data access.

2. There is one requirement to show pie chart on one slicer selection and table on another slicer selection , considering there are five values in slicer and which we know in adavance. How can we achieve this.

3. Data is in sql server  and its huge. With direct query there are lot of restriction. Any suggestion for this

One more question .

Can we restrict data in import and also in refresh.

Thanks Again

Regards

Anil

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. If your users do not have edit permission for the reports in the app workspace, you could try RLS to let the specific user have access to the the restrict data.

2. It seems that you want to let the pie chart to be filtered by one slicer and the table filtered by another slicer, you could try with the feature Edit Interactions between the visuals in Power BI Desktop.

3. If your data source is SQL Server Database, you could import with SQL Statement query under Advanced opions to import the data you need when get data.  More details, please refer to this guide document.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous I would recommend to use RLS in case you don't want use to see the data, reason, in case user has access to the url they can change the string to see other data and also in case you tomorrow you want to use to share reports by other means without embedding, your RLS logic will work doesn't matter how you share it.

Hope it helps to make the decision.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@Anonymous on 2nd question, I'm afraid that you can replace the visual on selecting slicers, to achieve such functionality, you can use buttons and bookmarks, which allows to switch between different visuals. You can see this approach at this link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.