Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

Row Level Security (RLS) not working

I have implmented row level security on my powerbi dashboard. It is working perfrectly fine when I use the view as feature to test if user is able to view the correct data. However, after i publish the dashboard to the workpace, it does not work function as expected. I am using data from excel file in my powerbi dashboard. Please advise do I need to implment the access management in my powerbi service. But I do not see the security option on my dataset in power bi services. Please advise.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@negi007 I have been able toresolve the issue. In our organization by default all datasets do not have RLS feature enabled. We have to ask for it to be enabled. Now, I have been able to get the security tab for my dataset and implement RLS. I did not know that this feturre can be controlled by the organization. Thanks everyone for their reponse.

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nadeem14

I have a similar issue. I have set up Dynamic RLS and it was working fine until I had about ~750 users. However, after this any user I add is not able to see any data in the dashboard. They are able to see the headers but not the data. The old users are able to see their data as per RLS. So it has nothing to do with how RLS has been set up. Are there any limits to how many users can be added to RLS?

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@negi007 I have been able toresolve the issue. In our organization by default all datasets do not have RLS feature enabled. We have to ask for it to be enabled. Now, I have been able to get the security tab for my dataset and implement RLS. I did not know that this feturre can be controlled by the organization. Thanks everyone for their reponse.

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a Power BI Admin, I want -on the contrary-to deter users to use RLS. I cannot find the admin menu to forbid BI developpers to use RLS  that SuperUSer mentionned here? can you provide the path and menu ? I guess this menu has disapeared since the question, but I want to be sure. 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @negi007 

If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power...

Make sure the users don't have the edit permissions in the workspace.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Click 3 dots on Dataset and click "Security:"

RLS Secutiry.png

Under that security you will see the Roles that you have defined for your users . 

Add users in it. and make sure that users are "Member" not the admin of Workspace

RLS Secutiry-2.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks for your response. Please tell me do I need to do anything in power bi services if my RLS is dynamic. Curently, the workspace that I have do not have the security tab even though it is available when i publish the dashboard to my personal workspace.

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

Workspace do not have Security Tab, when you click on your dataset then you will be able to view security tab 

Make sure that you are following steps correctly

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.