Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row LEVEL Security

Hey,

I am changing from Qlikview to Power BI. I have a table in ODS that has a list of User ID's and the Region data that they have access to. So in Qlik , this table is loaded as Section Access and on the front end, I have an option to click "Section Access" which automatically enables those people to view the application only for the regions that they are assigned to.

I want to be able to do something similar in POWERBI. I will be loading that table and connectinf it to the Region table based on "Manage relationship" between table. I want to know what is the next step after this for RLS?

I tried doing a manual RLS by "Manage Roles". But this works only when members have read only mo!e and hence cannot pin report views to dashboard. Moreover, this manual entry wont work if a person switches to another region in the course of his employment.

Is there any way this can be achieved? Thank You!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, this is done differently in Power BI. In Power BI you would create an RLS role for each Region. Then, in the Service, you assign users to roles. If a user pins a dashboard tile and then changes roles, I believe they will get a blank tile. If a user changes regions, just go into the Service and move their role.

Essentially, you can discard the user from your table, it is meaningless.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.