cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chels
Frequent Visitor

Re: Rotate a Textbox

My work around is to use the y-axis of a graph to write and format the text vertically. I then take a snippet, save, and insert the image where I want it.

sweidlich Advocate I
Advocate I

MAQ just released a plugin in the store called "Text Enhancer" that does all kinds of things, including text rotation. No workarounds needed. 

spathak04 Helper II
Helper II

I am using text enhancer. I set the text direction is Vertical L to R. I uploaded my report on power Bi report server, but Internet explorer can't read the vertical direction. Please see the image below:
Scatter Y-axis IE.PNGScatter Y-axis.PNG

sweidlich Advocate I
Advocate I

If you do the original workaround, is it the same issue?

spathak04 Helper II
Helper II

That workaround is for some static value. Tha will work fine. Mine is a text enhancer whose value is dynamic based on user selection. For example if user selects GDP option from slicer than this vertical textbox will show GDp , if user selects Population then it will show population. 
There are many CSS or compatibility issues with IE(Internet Explorer). 

JoshJames
Regular Visitor

Yeah @I_Like_Pi , there doesn't seem to be a great solution just yet. The best way I've found is creating an image in either InDesign or Illustrator with transparency grid turned on and the words I want at the angle I want (see below). Of course this requires having some version of Adobe Creative Cloud software (or something like it) AND going back and forth between applications, but it's the best I've found. I've added a super small, quick example below.

Vertical Text Applied in Power BI.png

absmila Advocate I
Advocate I

Such a nice Workaround - Thnx Smiley Happy

kaleydvorak
Regular Visitor

I used this and it worked pretty well, the only challenge being that you have to set up your text in a table - which is doable but a bit annoying. 

SteveArk Helper I
Helper I

Another solution is to create the vertical text in a cell in Excel. This can be snipped and saved as a .jpg image. The image can then be inserted into the Power BI report.

Highlighted
Skotko
Frequent Visitor

Another workaround is to make your text in word and use those functions to rotate to how you want it, take a screenshot, and then import it as an image.  Definitely laughable that this has to be a solution but this is power bi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors