Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tsupani

Room Utilization by Day and Hour

Hello. I’m looking for some assistance to find a way to calculate utilization (%) by day and hour that can show in a matrix table. 🙂 The total number of rooms available may be needed to calculate the utilization. 

Sample Data Set:

Room

Meeting Day

Start Time

End Time

CA0008

W

11:00 AM

12:15 PM

CA0008

TR

9:35 AM

10:50 AM

CA0008

TR

CA0008

T

3:00 PM

4:50 PM

CA0008

R

4:15 PM

5:30 PM

CA0008

MW

4:15 PM

CB0115

TR

CB0115

TR

1:00 PM

2:15 PM

CB0115

R

5:50 PM

CB0220

TR

10:00 AM

10:50 AM

CB0220

TR

4:00 PM

CB0220

TR

4:00 PM

CB0220

MWF

8:00 AM

8:50 AM

CC0030

TR

1:00 PM

2:50 PM

CC0030

MW

12:50 PM

CC0132

T

2:00 PM

4:50 PM

CD0133

TR

3:15 PM

CD0133

MW

3:15 PM

CD0133

M

9:00 AM

11:50 AM

Sample Matrix Table:

Day/Time

8 AM

9 AM

10 AM

11 AM

12 PM

1 PM

2 PM

3 PM

4 PM

M

T

W

T

F

Appreciate any guidance and assistance!

Gig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tsupani 

According to your expected result, I think what can be achieved in Power BI is the data part, this is the result I can achieve:

v-robertq-msft_0-1606890477922.png

What’s more, I don’t think the detailed data(room number and time period) can also be displayed in Power BI Matrix, I suggest you to accept this reply as a solution and open a new case to ask this question so that more exports can research whether this can be achieved in Power BI.

This is my test pbix file according to your expected result(My steps is similar to the steps I mentioned before):

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/xiaoxin_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EWGlCWdBiS1Nqvigi...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tsupani 

According to your expected result, I think what can be achieved in Power BI is the data part, this is the result I can achieve:

v-robertq-msft_0-1606890477922.png

What’s more, I don’t think the detailed data(room number and time period) can also be displayed in Power BI Matrix, I suggest you to accept this reply as a solution and open a new case to ask this question so that more exports can research whether this can be achieved in Power BI.

This is my test pbix file according to your expected result(My steps is similar to the steps I mentioned before):

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/xiaoxin_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EWGlCWdBiS1Nqvigi...

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tsupani 

According to your description, I can understand your requirement clearly, and you can follow my steps and find out if it’s exactly what you want:

1. Go to power query editor, open the advanced editor, and pause this code:
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZJNDoMgEIWvYli7eMNIYtlpm+5IjGniwnj/axSo4KA2LGZCwsd788O6qucAoFetWnwQWaAZXDhqS6aZnNpaAX1mnx6WzQ7BmshfobqUDw7MFJguCJ2ROV783rbKWL4ibjnJCKcRRKZaT0llpVtmLsyMrHmE1sgyOMyKERVUJ5T4j1KFccvb5z679dLsCTDuOhNlJ8Zd119QxHrfmb7f2csjnMwOhuUYExPNakz8aLkcSo1tXw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Room = _t, #"Meeting Day" = _t, #"Start Time" = _t, #"End Time" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start Time", type time}, {"End Time", type time}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Meeting Day", Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(1), {"Meeting Day.1", "Meeting Day.2", "Meeting Day.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Room", type text}, {"Meeting Day.1", type text}, {"Meeting Day.2", type text}, {"Meeting Day.3", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Changed Type1", {"Meeting Day.1", "Meeting Day.2", "Meeting Day.3"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Value", "Meeting Day"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Room", "Meeting Day", "Start Time", "End Time"})
in
#"Reordered Columns"

1. Create a calculated table and transform [Start Time] and [End Time] to time type:
Time =

var _hour=GENERATESERIES(8,16,1)

return SELECTCOLUMNS(_hour,"Start Time",TIME([Value],1,0),"End Time",TIME([Value]+1,0,0),"Time period",TIME([Value],1,0)&" - "&TIME([Value]+1,0,0))

v-robertq-msft_0-1606812756542.png

1. Create a measure and change measure type to "Percentage":
utilization =
var _allrooms=
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Room]),ALL('Table'))
var _usedrooms=
CALCULATE(
    COUNT('Table'[Room]),
    FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),
    [Start Time]<=MAX('Time'[Start Time])&&[End Time]>=MAX('Time'[End Time])&&[Meeting Day]=MAX('Table'[Meeting Day])))
var _utilization=
DIVIDE(_usedrooms,_allrooms)
return
IF(_utilization=BLANK(),0,_utilization)

1. Create a Matrix and place columns like this:

v-robertq-msft_1-1606812756562.png

And you can get what you want.

You can download my test pbix file here

Best Regards,

Hello @v-robertq-msft. I appreciate your help. I still can't get the right matrix table as most classes are scheduled in different patterns (TR, MWF, MW, etc.). For the matrix table, I expect to see the scheduling pattern by day (M, T, W, R, and F) at each hour slot. 

Let me further clarify this in a little more detail. 

Sample Data:

CA0008, 8:00 AM - 8:50 AM, MWF

CB0220, 8:00 AM - 8:50 AM, MW

CC0030, 8:00 AM - 8:50 AM, MW

CA0008, 8:00 AM- 8:50 AM, TR

CB0220, 8:00 AM - 8:50 AM, T

Utilization = (Total Number of Rooms Occupied/Total Number of Rooms Available)*100

Note: Total Number of Rooms Available - 10

Expected Matrix Table:

Expected Matrix Table.JPG

Thanks so much for your time and help!

Gig

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tsupani 

1. According to your expected result, you want to create a matrix to calculate utilization (%) by day and hour, you can follow my steps:
  2. Create a calculated column [Time], then change the [Time] column to time type:
Time =

var _hour=GENERATESERIES(8,16,1)

return SELECTCOLUMNS(_hour,"Time",TIME([Value],0,0))

v-robertq-msft_0-1606804155586.png

1. Create a measure in the main table:
utilization =

var _allrooms=

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Room]),ALL('Table'))

var _usedrooms=

CALCULATE(

COUNT('Table'[Room]),

FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),

[Start Time]<=MAX('Time'[Time])&&[End Time]>=MAX('Time'[Time])&&[Meeting Day]=MAX('Table'[Meeting Day])))

var _utilization=

DIVIDE(_usedrooms,_allrooms)

return

IF(_utilization=BLANK(),0,_utilization)
  1. Change the measure format to “Percentage” and create a Matrix and place columns like this:

v-robertq-msft_1-1606804155599.png

And you can get what you want.

You can download my test pbix file here

Best Regards,

Thanks for taking the time to find out the solution. 🙂

Sorry I wasn't clear about my communication on the first post. Your proposed solution seems to move in the right direction but still doesn't meet certain requirements. In particular, I hope to see the utilization by day (including M, T, W, R, and F) instead of the meeting day patterns (e.g., M, MW, MWF, etc.) and by the hour from 8 AM - 4 PM (e.g., 8:01 am - 9:00 am, 9:01 am - 10:00 am, etc.). 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tsupani , first of all you need an hourly bucket . See if time table or a merge with time table can help

https://kohera.be/blog/power-bi/how-to-create-a-time-table-in-power-bi-in-a-few-simple-steps/

then this measure should work

divide(distinctcount(Table[Room]), calculate(distinctcount(Table[Room]), allselected(Table)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors