Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardP
Helper I
Helper I

Rolling totals, checking dates and matching between tables

Hi everyone,

I have a general question about what the best approach is to solve a problem.

I have two tables:

Usage table

UserIDMonthPage loads
111April 201812
111June 20183
222January 20186
333March 20182

Users table

UserIDNameSubscription startSubscription end
111JonJune 2017July 2019
222JackieDecember 2017March 2018
333TomFebruary 2018July 2018
444MillieJanuary 2018September 2018

I need to report on users with low usage and look at trends month by month. The definition of a user with low usage is 5 page loads or less over a rolling 3 month period (ie the April figure would show users who had 0 to 5 page loads during the Feb-Apr period).

Two additional factors are:

- The Usage table only includes users who did visit the website. So it doesn't include the users with 0 visits.

- For each monthly total of inactive users it only makes sense to include the users who's subscription was valid during that month.

So I need to check whether the month falls inside the user's subscription start and end dates, and then count the number of page loads they had during that month and the two months previous. And then count the number of users where that page load total is 5 or less for that month.

The final output would be a bar chart with Months along the axis and the values counting the number of inactive users during each of those months.

I'm not sure about how to approach this challenge, or where to start with breaking it down in smaller steps... any advice very welcome as always, thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichardP

“page load total” should sum for that month and the two months previous, right?

For example, for ” UserID=111”, “page load total” should be 12+3.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft, yes indeed, that's correct

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.