Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rolling sum based on sorted column

Hello, 

I have a requirement to visualize cumulative quantities based on sorted calculated measure "Ticket Qty".
I need to show a chart where on Y-axis, I will have the Ticket Qty and on the X-axis, I will have VenueCity and on Y2-axis, the cumulative total amount calculated based on the sorted "Ticket Qty" column (descending). Please see below. 

SaloniGupta_0-1637074805053.png
SaloniGupta_2-1637075460598.png
Can you please help to create a Rolling Sum of Ticket Qty?
Thanks a lot.
8 REPLIES 8
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I tested it. It is best to use the calculation column for rolling summation. If the Ticket Qty is measure, the Ticket Qty cannot be referenced.

If Ticket Qty is a calculated column.

Rank = 
RANKX ( 'Table', 'Table'[Ticket Qty], [Ticket Qty], DESC )
Rolling Sum = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Ticket Qty] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table' ), [Rank] <= EARLIER ( 'Table'[Rank] ) )
)

vzhangti_0-1637285379499.png

Rolling Sum Measure = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Ticket Qty] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table' ), [Rank] <= MAX ( 'Table'[Rank] ) )
)

vzhangti_1-1637285410791.png

If my method can't solve your problem. If Ticket Qty can only be measure, can you provide the source data of Ticket Qty and I'll test it again? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhangti,
You are right Tickets Quantity cannot be referenced if it is a calculated measure and I tried the same logic in a calculated column but it gives me wrong results.
DAX:

Tickets Quantity =
Calculate(SUM('Transaction'[Item Count]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Item Type'),[Item Type]="Ticket"))

SaloniGupta_0-1637296762728.png

Here is the link to the Ticket Qty sample source data (excel) file.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eIA2Abarbkl4nXhvtA7gz3hIExB5j13o/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11317... 

Please let me know if you need any more fields data or information.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Thank you for your reply.

You also need to tell me how you got the table below:

VenueCity Item Type Tickets Quantity
Boston Ticket 442393
West Palm Beach Ticket 80257
Raleigh Ticket 28927
National Harbor Ticket 21212
New York Ticket 546

Because the field "ventuecity" does not appear in the data you provided.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhangti,

Please find the updated excel here with both the Transaction table (has Item Count) and Performance table (has VenueCity) joined on Performance Key (Many to One)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nDnBezke6IbbfvY_GxcSeDcHhSaLEmN9/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11317...

Thanks

Hi, @Anonymous 

Thank you for your reply. I have understood the relationship between several fields. I simulated some data to reproduce your problem.

Rolling sum refers directly to the source data during calculation.

Tickets Quantity = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Transaction'[Item Count] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL( 'Performance' ),
        [VenueCity] = MAX ( Performance[VenueCity] )
    )
)
Rolling Sum =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Transaction'[Item Count] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Performance' ), [VenueCity] <= MAX ( Performance[VenueCity] ) )
)

vzhangti_0-1637572670146.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhangti 

There is a small problem with the rolling sum logic.
Hers is the screenshot without Rolling Sum which shows correct Ticket Qty for only those VenueCity's which have Item Count for it.

SaloniGupta_1-1637687447085.png

Here is the screenshot with Rolling Sum (sorted descending by Ticket Qty) which does not seem correct.

SaloniGupta_2-1637687650300.png

Here is the screenshot again with Rolling Sum, sorted in Ascending Order

SaloniGupta_3-1637687758559.png

Here, I can see Rolling Sum is adding ticket count but in ascending order of VenueCity and it displays all the VenueCity's.

The reason you did not face such an issue is that I had already sent you filtered data. I am again attaching the link with updated data without filters.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLQ7TX96b68JoDiDNwZK8We059YaoVrI/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11317... 
Can you please help me resolve it so that Rolling Sum should display values when sorted by Ticket Qty and should display only when there is Item Count and not for all VenueCity's?

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous 

Try adding a Calculated Column to calculate your sort order

QtyRankCol = RANKX(EventTable,EventTable[Ticket Qty])

Then use a Measure for your running total

RunningTotal = 
CALCULATE(
    [TicketQtyMeasure],
    FILTER(
        ALL('EventTable'),
        ISONORAFTER('EventTable'[QtyRankCol], MAX('EventTable'[QtyRankCol]), DESC)
    )
)

If you have a lot of interaction going on that would affect the rank, this may cause you some issues, but otherwise it works for me with the example you gave

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mattww,

I am not able to get the correct results for QtyRankCol. My data model has the below-shown tables (Transaction table which has Item Count and is connected with Performance table which I earlier mentioned as Event table and this table has VenueCity).
So how I am calculating Ticket Qty is the sum of Item Count for Item Type = Ticket.

SaloniGupta_0-1637244898054.png

I am not sure as to how to get QtyRankCol correctly, can you please help me work on my scenario?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.