Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rolling Termination sum on a rolling Trend Line

I've found several articles that touch on different ways to do this but I was curious.  

Is there a way we can take the steps that this SQLJason has done (which is great).

If you want an example dataset the below link has one you can download that is just like mine.  Except I want to do a rolling sum on the rolling graph he has.

Rolling N Months Sums

But then do a Rolling on top of the rolling he is doing.  So basically  I want to have rolling 3 month Sales that Rolls 12 months.   So my trend line would have:

Month  Rolling 3 Month Sum Sales    Sales

Dec            3000                  1000

Nov            3200                  500

Oct             2700                 1500

Sept            2750                  1200

etc....

This is my code I would like to show the Rolling Sum of Sales for each of the above months in a single Trend Line.  However, when I put this measure into a graph it simply shows the last 3 months of Sales broken out.

Rolling Sales 3 Month Total = 
CALCULATE (
    'Measures Fact'[Sales],
    DATESINPERIOD (
        'DIMCalendar'[Date],
        LASTDATE (  ('DIMCalendar'[Date] ) ),
        MONTH
    )
)

This is the code that works in simply showing the last "N" months of Sales (from the above link):

Sales(last n months) = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( FactSales[Sales] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( 'DIMCalendar'[Date], MAX ( 'DIMCalendar'[Date] ), - [N Value], MONTH )
)

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you noticed that "It is important to know that putting the Month from the Date table will not work, so what we are going to do is create a month column in the Sales table and then use that as the axis for the bar chart.", which is mentioned in above link? 

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.