Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rolling Sum of Quantity along table (across)

Hi All, 

I have a requirement to visualize cumulative quantities based on sorted calculated measure "Ticket Qty".
I need to show a chart where on Y-axis, I will have the Ticket Qty and on the X-axis, I will have VenueCity and on Y2-axis (line graph shown below), the cumulative total amount calculated based on the sorted "Ticket Qty" column (descending). Please see below. 

SaloniGupta_1-1641357205849.png

Tickets Quantity = Calculate(SUM('Transaction'[Item Count]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Item Type'),[Item Type]="Ticket"))
Rolling Sum of Ticket Quantity =
CALCULATE( [Tickets Quantity ],
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Performance'),
ISONORAFTER('Performance'[VenueCity], MAX('Performance'[VenueCity]), DESC)
)
)

But the issue with "Rolling Sum of Ticket Quantity" measure is that when the user filters on Client Name (from Client table) which will obviously fiter VenueCity accordingly, this measure does not calculates rolling sum for only those VenueCity's but for all.
I am not sure how to change the calculation to include ALLSELECTED('Client'[ClientName']).
Also, another issue with this measure is that it calculates Rolling Sum alphabetically for VenueCity's and not Descending Tickets Quantity.
Below shown screenshot is my data model where Transaction table is joined with Client (on Client Key) and Performance table(on Performance Key).

SaloniGupta_2-1641358085745.png

Can you please help correct Rolling Sum of Ticket Qty?
Thanks in Advance!
6 REPLIES 6
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Enter the power query, copy the Performance Table and name it IndexTable

vyangliumsft_0-1641972080304.png

2. Delete [Performance Key] in IndexTable, Addcolumn – Column From Examples—From Selction

vyangliumsft_1-1641972080309.png

3. Create Index from custom input data.

vyangliumsft_2-1641972080312.png

4. Create measure.

Tickets Quantity =
SUMX(FILTER( 'Transaction Table','Transaction Table'[Item Type]="Ticket"),[Sum of Item Count])
Roll =
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Index]<=MAX('IndexTable'[Index])),[Tickets Quantity])

5. Select [VenueCity] to create a new table, click Column tools – Sort by column – [index]

vyangliumsft_3-1641972080314.png

6. Result:

vyangliumsft_4-1641972080320.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yangliu-msft,
Thank you for replying.
I have one question here, are you manually numbering the VenueCity in the Index column (in IndexTable) according to decreasing order of Ticket Qty ? If yes, then it won't work for me because firstly we never know when any city's ticket qty may change and so the ranking or Index value has to be changed.
Secondly, I provided only sample data but in my dataset, I have more than 1000 cities which makes it impossible for me to give each of them an Index value according to their Ticket Qty.
There should be a way where either the Index value set itself according to the decreasing order of Ticket Qty for each VenueCity or we do it in DAX ? 
Any thoughts are appreciated?
Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,
I tried the second option which is filtering Clients and VenueCity. But the Rolling sum of Ticket quantities is giving the same result as Ticket Quantity and not adding the amounts. Also, when there are multiple clients with same VenueCity , it shows only one client's Ticket Qty for Rolling Sum as shown below.

SaloniGupta_0-1641594066663.png

CALCULATE(
SUM ( 'Transaction'[Item Count] ),FILTER('Item Type',[Item Type] = "Ticket"),
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Performance'),
),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Client'),'Client'[Instance Name] = MAX('Client'[Instance Name]))
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , First check do you really need all selected in the first measure.

The second one will work best if the city coming from a dimension 

Tickets Quantity = Calculate(SUM('Transaction'[Item Count]), FILTER('Item Type',[Item Type]="Ticket"))

With City dimension
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('City'),
ISONORAFTER('City'[VenueCity], MAX('City'[VenueCity]), DESC)
)
)

change without the city dim

FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Performance'[VenueCity]),
)
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,
Thanks for replying. I did not understand what you mean by "city coming from a dimension ". Did you mean I should create a new Table which has only VenueCity's ? because Performance table is more like a dimension table.

@Anonymous , sorry misunderstood that try like

try one of the two can solve

CALCULATE( [Tickets Quantity ],
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Performance',
)
), allselected(client)) // or push allselected of fact

CALCULATE( [Tickets Quantity ],
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Performance',
)
), filter(allselected(client),client[client Name ] = max(client[Client Name ] )))

If this does not help
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.