Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wallace13
Advocate II
Advocate II

Rolling Average within Groups in Power Query Help

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out how to add a column which will compute a rolling N month average within groups in M.

For example, I would like to have something similar to this table:

Group MonthCountRolling 3 month Average
AJanuary178 
AFebruary135 
AMarch192168.3333
AApril157161.3333
AMay131160
BJanuary188 
BFebruary117 
BMarch145150
BApril117126.3333
BMay125129

NOTE I do not need the months without a N month average (so instances where there are less than N months) I've just included this to help explain the example.

One way to do this would be to join the database on itself multiple times (N-1 times) and compute the average over the Count columns created for each N-X month period created (N month, N-1 Month and N-2 Month...).  However, I believe there must be a better way to do this.

Any ideas? 

Unfortunately, this has to be in M and not DAX since this result will be used in some other computations that require M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dont' forget PowerPivot in Excel where you have the same PowerQuery [M] and DAX resources within PowerBI. But you can put results in a table on a sheet and then run wild with macros. Not sure if the R integration will help you in PowerBI but you might look into that and from the recent MS BI Summit I learned that soon you will be able to use python scripts which will open up all kinds of options in PowerBI.

If you don't see PowerPivot in excel menus you just need to enable it assuming you using Pro or other version that includes powerpivot. Tip - Its a COM add in.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi wallace13,

It's not easy to write loop or recursion in Power Query, DAX is very useful in your senario, so I would recommend you to create a calculate column using DAX as below:

Rolling 3 month Average = 
VAR Start_Index = Table1[Index] - 2
VAR End_Index = Table1[Index]
RETURN
    IF (
        COUNTROWS (
            FILTER (
                ALL ( Table1 ),
                Table1[Group] = EARLIER ( Table1[Group] )
                    && Table1[Index] >= Start_Index
                    && Table1[Index] <= End_Index
            )
        )
            < 3,
        BLANK (),
        CALCULATE (
            AVERAGE ( Table1[Count] ),
            FILTER (
                ALL ( Table1 ),
                Table1[Group] = EARLIER ( Table1[Group] )
                    && Table1[Index] >= Start_Index
                    && Table1[Index] <= End_Index
            )
        )
    )

捕获.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Not sure about the "M" solution but can clarify what you need to in M in the subsequent steps that you can't do in DAX?   Using DAX you can build quite complicated tables you can then link to and use in your model. 

Hi Seward,

Thank you for your response.

In the subsequent steps I will ultimately need to perform some matrix multiplication and division as I am computing regressions for forecasting purposes (so I will need to calculate the inverse of a square matrix which doesn't seem to be something you can do in DAX).

I'm still at the exploratory stage and realistically I may not be able to do what I want just in Power Query and may still end up with a hybrid with Excel.

Thanks!

Dont' forget PowerPivot in Excel where you have the same PowerQuery [M] and DAX resources within PowerBI. But you can put results in a table on a sheet and then run wild with macros. Not sure if the R integration will help you in PowerBI but you might look into that and from the recent MS BI Summit I learned that soon you will be able to use python scripts which will open up all kinds of options in PowerBI.

If you don't see PowerPivot in excel menus you just need to enable it assuming you using Pro or other version that includes powerpivot. Tip - Its a COM add in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.