Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rawiswarden
Helper I
Helper I

Rolling Average of Measure

Hello,

How do I calculate a rolling average of a measure?  Or is this not possible.  I've tried everything I can find online.  The measure is a conditional weighted average.

FICO (Avg) = calculate(sumx(filter(Facts_Originations, Facts_Originations[PortStats.FICO] > 0), Facts_Originations[PortStats.FICO] * Facts_Originations[PortStats.DiscountedLoanAmount]) / sumx(filter(Facts_Originations, Facts_Originations[PortStats.FICO] > 0), Facts_Originations[PortStats.DiscountedLoanAmount]), userelationship(Facts_Originations[PortStats.BookedDate], Calendar_Dates[Date]))

How can I calculate the average of this over the past 6 months?  Everything I try either seems focused on calculated columns, columns, or produces results that do not make sense (like the 1 month average does not tie).  Maybe it is because I am new to DAX, but this has turned out to be much harder than it should be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Does this measure work?

=CALCULATE([FICO (Avg)],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar_Dates[Date],EDATE(MIN(Calendar_Dates[Date]),-5),MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])),userelationship(Facts_Originations[PortStats.BookedDate], Calendar_Dates[Date]))

Ensure that in your visual Year and Month are dragged from the Calendar_Dates table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Can you share a pbix along with the example output

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Does this measure work?

=CALCULATE([FICO (Avg)],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar_Dates[Date],EDATE(MIN(Calendar_Dates[Date]),-5),MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])),userelationship(Facts_Originations[PortStats.BookedDate], Calendar_Dates[Date]))

Ensure that in your visual Year and Month are dragged from the Calendar_Dates table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Hello @Ashish_Mathur 

Thank you for the reply.  I was on my home computer attempting your solution and for whatever reason, it did not behave the same as it is behaving on my work computer.

I've never used EDATE before, so I had to read about the formula this morning.  When I modify your formula to use EOMONTH instead, then it works.  The problem with EDATE is that it does not go to the last day of the month but rather that month prior.  For example, EDATE (2/28/2019, -5) is 9/28/2018.  The same with EDATE (11/30/2019, -1) would give 10/30/2019, not 10/31/2019.

Since my rolling average is full calendar months, I switched it to EOMONTH and now it works.

Rolling Avg = CALCULATE([FICO (Avg)],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar_Dates[Date],EOMONTH(MIN(Calendar_Dates[Date]),-6)+1,MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])),userelationship(Facts_Originations[PortStats.BookedDate], Calendar_Dates[Date]))

You are welcome.  Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Thanks for the help @Ashish_Mathur , but that measure just calculates the same number and puts it in every time period (even time periods before when the data starts).  It also takes a long time to complete the calculation when added to the table

Hi,

Let's start from scratch.  Explain the business question, share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @rawiswarden ,

I would give this pattern a try

Rolling Fico AVG = 
var _thecurrentMonth = MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])
var _theLastSixMonths = ...
return
AVERAGEX(
	_theLastSixMonths
	, [FICO (Avg)]
)

It depends how easily it is to determine the last six months from your calendar table.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello @TomMartens ,

My calendar table is below.  Is there anything I should add or how would I determine the month end?  I can't figure out how to define the second variable.   I've tried using eomonth and a combination of the DAX date functions.

Calendar_Dates =
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALENDAR (min(Dimension_PortStats[BookedDate]), MAX(Dimension_PortStats[BookedDate])),
"DateAsInteger", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYYMMDD" ),
"Year", YEAR ( [Date] ),
"Monthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "MM" ),
"YearMonthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/MM" ),
"MonthYearLong", FORMAT([Date], "MMMM YYYY"),
"YearMonthShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/mmm" ),
"MonthNameShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmm" ),
"MonthNameLong", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmmm" ),
"DayOfWeekNumber", WEEKDAY ( [Date] ),
"DayOfWeek", FORMAT ( [Date], "dddd" ),
"DayOfWeekShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ),
"Quarter", "Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" ),
"YearQuarter", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY" ) & "/Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" ), "MonthYear", Format ([Date], "m-yy")
)

I tried this but the numbers do not tie to if I just average what is displayed in my calculator.  Am I missing something?

Rolling Fico AVG  =
var _thecurrentMonth = MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])
return
var _theLastSixMonths = CALCULATETABLE(
Facts_Originations,
DATESBETWEEN (Calendar_Dates[Date], eomonth(_thecurrentMonth, -1)+1, _thecurrentMonth)
)
return
AVERAGEX(
    _theLastSixMonths
    , [FICO (Avg)]
)

Hey @rawiswarden 

As far as I understand you need the average of 6 months, as far as I see you iterate across the table FACT_Originations, this was not was I meant.

First I added a new calcualted column to the calendar table like so (please be aware, that it is references my fact table):

"Running Month Index" , 
    var YearStart = YEAR(MIN('Fact Sale'[Invoice Date Key]))
    return
    ((YEAR([Date]) - YearStart) * 12 ) + MONTH([Date])

This creates an index for each month. This allows to navigate between months using simple integer maths.

The measure below concatenates the last six months, just for checking if the "correct"months are selected.

test = 
var maxRunningMonthIndex = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index]))
var t = 

SUMMARIZE(
        FILTER(
            'Calendar_Dates'
            , 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index] >= maxRunningMonthIndex - 5 && 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index] <= maxRunningMonthIndex
        )
        , 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index]
    )

return

CONCATENATEX(
    t
    , [Running Month Index]
    , " | "
)

This allows to created something like this:

image.png

Of course your measure would look like this:

Rolling FICO (Avg) = 
var maxRunningMonthIndex = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index]))
var t = 
    SUMMARIZE(
        FILTER(
            'Calendar_Dates'
            , 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index] >= maxRunningMonthIndex - 5 && 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index] <= maxRunningMonthIndex
        )
        , 'Calendar_Dates'[Running Month Index]
    )

return

AVERAGEX(
    t
    , [FICO (Avg)]
)

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello @TomMartens 

Thanks for the help but I must be terrible at DAX.  I am going getting the correct data in the total

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.