Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cottrera
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Rolling 3 week Average

Hi 

Can you please help. I am trying to calculate a 3 week rolling average for the repairs completed by my company.

I have a facts table which has rows of repairs with a completion date. and I  have a calendar table with the relation made to the completed repairs date

So far I have one DAX measure 

Compl Repairs = COUNTROWS(Facts Table)

Calendar Table 
DimDateYearWeek Number
01/12/2020202049
20/12/2020202052
01/01/202120201
10/01/202120203
01/02/202120206

Facts Table  
Repair RefRepair Completion  DateTrade
1201/12/2020Plum
3220/12/2020Plum
54501/01/2021Plum
66710/01/2021Elec
87601/02/2021Elec

thank you

RIchard

5 REPLIES 5
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cottrera ,

If you are creating a calculated column, then the cause of the eeors is that you added two commas after "ASC". You should add two commas before "ASC" to conform to the syntax. Try the following formula:

Week Rank = 
RANKX( 
    ALL('SHARED Calendar'), 
    'SHARED Calendar'[Week start], 
    ASC, 
    DENSE 
) 

If you want to create measure, follow these steps to create two measures:

Measure 3 = MAX('SHARED Calendar'[Week start]) 
Week Rank = 
RANKX( 
    ALL('SHARED Calendar'), 
    [Measure 3], 
     ASC, 
     Dense 
) 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cottrera ,

According to my understanding, The error was caused because the syntax was incorrect.
Syntax of RANKX and DATE function:

RANKX(<table>, <expression>[, <value>[, <order>[, <ties>]]]) 
DATE(<year>, <month>, <day>)

Optional arguments might be skipped by placing an empty comma (,) in the argument list. Try the following formula:

Week Rank = RANKX(ALL('SHARED Calendar'),'SHARED Calendar'[Week start],,ASC,DENSE)

Because the WEEKNUM function calculates the number of weeks in a year, to distinguish the number of weeks in different years, add columns to Facts Table:

Different Weeks = INT('Facts Table'[Repair Completion].[Year]-MIN('Facts Table'[Repair Completion].[Year])*(365/7))
Week Number = WEEKNUM('Facts Table'[Repair Completion]) + 'Facts Table'[Different Weeks]

Then create measure:

Last 3 weeks = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Facts Table'[Repair Ref]), FILTER(ALL('Facts Table'),'Facts Table'[Week Number]>MAX('Facts Table'[Week Number])-3 && 'Facts Table'[Week Number]<=max('Facts Table'[Week Number])))

Capture.PNG

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi thank you for replying so quickly I am getting this error when trying to use the first of the function you provided

cottrera_0-1612434399861.png

I have just had a conversation with a senior and the reporting requirement are now changing so I no longer need help on this issue.

thank you again

Richard

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@cottrera , You can use week rank for that

new columns in date table

Week Start date = 'Date'[Date]+-1*WEEKDAY('Date'[Date],2)+1
Week End date = 'Date'[Date]+ 7-1*WEEKDAY('Date'[Date],2)
Week Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Week Start date],,ASC,Dense)

or
Week Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Year Week],,ASC,Dense) //YYYYMM format

measures

This Week = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]=max('Date'[Week Rank])))
Last Week = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]=max('Date'[Week Rank])-1))

Last 3 weeks = CALCULATE(Avergae('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]>=max('Date'[Week Rank])-8 && 'Date'[Week Rank]<=max('Date'[Week Rank])))

or

Last 3 weeks = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]>=max('Date'[Week Rank])-8 && 'Date'[Week Rank]<=max('Date'[Week Rank])))/CALCULATE(distinctcountd(Date[Week Rank]) , FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]>=max('Date'[Week Rank])-8 && 'Date'[Week Rank]<=max('Date'[Week Rank]) && not(isbalnk(sum('order'[Qty])))))

Power BI — Week on Week and WTD
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-wtd-questions-time-intelligence-4-5-98c30fab69d3
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-La...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAesWxYgJ8

Hi 

Thanks for for fast response

I am getting this error though can you advise

cottrera_0-1612185780883.png

Richard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.