Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rolling 12M Date Order based on Selection

Hi,

Im a new user to Power BI and have been trying to design my reports.

I have looked up previous Rolling 12 Month questions and was able to source the below Dax statement

Dax Formula for Previous 12 MonthsDax Formula for Previous 12 MonthsGraph outcomeGraph outcome

My final hurdle is that iIm trying to get in to sort in order of last 12 Month. That image is filtered on 30/9/19 I would like it to be far right and then go backwards eg Aug 19, July 19, Jun19... to Oct18.

Adding report time to Column Series I was able to split the years but no further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Eamon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 
Did you want to show the period as "MMM YY"? If so, you can create a custom column for that 

Month and Year = 
FORMAT ( Table[Date], "MMM YY" )

Month and Year Sort= 
FORMAT ( Table[Date], "YYYYMM" )

The second formula above is for sorting the first formula. Once you have created these calculated columns, select Month and Year, go to Column Tools and Sort by Month and Year Sort. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

After several testing, I realized that there was no way to sort the period chronologically if i just use month as the axis. The workaround is to include both year and month from the date hierarchy then sort the visual by YearMonth. Turn off concatenate labels. The Years will still be visible but you may cover it with a shape then just group with the bar chart.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @danextian,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have turned off concatenate labels and have the date hireachy detup with Year and month but still shows in the same format unfortunatley. I'll keep playing around with it.

Are there any other simpler formuls that would just simply show last 12 months absed on date/month selection? 

Thanks

Any formula you apply needs that sorting need to corrected. So you have to create the moth-year and month year sort as suggested above.

You can use the following for rolling, but make sure you have date calendar

Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH)) 
Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date Filer],MAX(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH))  

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak & @danextian 

Would like to thank you very much. Danextian's 2nd comment solution worked to sort in the order I required.

The blog link was also very helpful.

Thanks

Eam

Hi @Anonymous 
Did you want to show the period as "MMM YY"? If so, you can create a custom column for that 

Month and Year = 
FORMAT ( Table[Date], "MMM YY" )

Month and Year Sort= 
FORMAT ( Table[Date], "YYYYMM" )

The second formula above is for sorting the first formula. Once you have created these calculated columns, select Month and Year, go to Column Tools and Sort by Month and Year Sort. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.