Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

desmon316
Frequent Visitor

Rolling 12 Month Sum Visual

Hi,

I am trying to create a Running total Visual. When I use Filter, I get a flat line. When I use Datesinperiod, I get the sum for the individual months, but not the cumulative sum (While using Power Charts in Excel, I do know we can use running totals, which I do not know if it is available in Power BI)

I get the required result when I use DATESYTD, but the issue is I have to change Financial Year end every month. If I do not use Financial Year end, then it resets the sum for 1st of Jan.

How Do I create a visual which shows the visual as when I uses DATESYTD, but not resetting every Jan.

When using Filter:

1.png

When I use Datesinperiod:

2.png

When I use DATESYTD:

desmon316_4-1669978975150.png

I would prefer a visual similar to the one above.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @desmon316 ,

You can refer the following links to get it:

DAX method:

5 ways to Calculate Last 12 Months in DAX for Power BI

Cumulative Total/Rolling Sum Last 12 monthsyingyinr_1-1670205975998.jpeg

Rolling 12 months

Power Query method:

Rolling 12 Months in Power Query

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some sample data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thank you for the email. 

Solved: Cumulative Total/Rolling Sum Last 12 months - Microsoft Power BI Community Works interms of calculating the cumulative sum. I am getting the following graph: 

desmon316_2-1670251840458.png

The reason can be that the dates to which the calendar table is linked to has dates till 2025. Date column 

desmon316_1-1670253340026.png

If I filter on Relative Date:

desmon316_0-1670253264746.png

If I use the last solution from 5 ways to Calculate Last 12 Months in DAX for Power BI which lets me select 

desmon316_1-1670251641572.png

Please provide an email or link to upload or set permission to share file.

Regards

Desmond

Hi @desmon316 ,

You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community, please grant me the proper permission to access your file. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@yingyinr ,

Please find the data file and required pbix file attached in the download link. https://we.tl/t-phrX2ydDuX

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.