Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RG007
Helper II
Helper II

Role Playing Dimensions(don't want to use UseRelationship)

Hi let's talk standard scenario of Date dimension that needs join with fact table having multiple date fields like order date, ship date, delivery date etc.

I don't want to use active/Inactive relationship and then use of UseRelationship.

I want to go for traditional apporach of creating multiple copies of Date dim.

I did create 3 references(right click on original date dim and click on reference) of Date Dim name them Like Order Date, Ship Date and Delivery Date and then joined these three tables with 3 respective fields in Fact table.

Is it right way, if not why? also please advise the best way.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RG007 ,Yes, You have create one date dim and three joins with them one active two inactive and use userelation to activate them .

refer userelationship

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

if you read my original post, I have written very clearly that I don't want to go that route like using one active and multiple inactive realationship and then use code(userelationship etc) to use inactive relationship.

I want to create multiple alias of original date dimension.

so one way is create duplicate, another is create reference...just trying to figure out what is best way.

Thanks

Hi @RG007 ,

Please review the following blog, you will get more explanations about the two methods you mentioned.

Multiple Relationships Between Tables in DAX

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rena thanks for your reply, we are going for 2nd option , but my question is since I need multiple copy of date/calendar table , can I use the original calendar table and make another calendar table using REFERENCE.

What is best/most efficient way to make multiple copy of date/Calendar .

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.