Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ggipson
Frequent Visitor

Role Level Security on Multiple Table

I am trying to filter for roles using two tables that are both hierarchies. My issue is that I need them to perform an 'or' function and not an 'and' function. 

For example, say I had a sales org and a location hierarchy. I would like to see all of John Doe's sales and all of Canada's sales. I can only seem to filter on John Doe's Canada sales. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ggipson,

Current power bi only support to use "and" to link filters on different tables, I think you can post this to ideas forum.
For your requirement, you try to enable these filters on sales table to filter the specificity records.

1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

Could you please provide some sample data and the expected output, which will be easier to understand your requirement.

Thanks !!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Below is a sample of 3 tables. I want to have row level security based on both location and sales hiearchies. I want to filter the report for the role based on all of John Doe's sales and all of the Canada's Sales. This would include all of the bolded lines in the bottom table. It would include any sales at locations D & E and any sales by Employees 1, 2, & 3.

CountryCityLocation ID
U.S.Ney YorkA
U.S.AtlantaB
U.S.ChicagoC
CanadaTorontoD
CanadaOttawaE

Sales ManagerSales PersonEmployee ID
John DoeJane Doe1
John DoeJanet Jackson2
John DoeTito Jackson3
Rick RossNick LaChey4
Rick RossJustin Timberlake5
Rick RossSteve Austin6

Employee IDLocation IDAmount
1E $          500.00
1A $          300.00
1B $          250.00
2C $          750.00
2C $          650.00
3D $          200.00
4D $          320.00
5C $          890.00
5C $          400.00
6C $          165.00
6E $          500.00
6A $          230.00
6A $          320.00

Hi @ggipson,

Current power bi only support to use "and" to link filters on different tables, I think you can post this to ideas forum.
For your requirement, you try to enable these filters on sales table to filter the specificity records.

1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

How to make this work if we need to compare with a dimension column, rather than hardcoding the values as 1, 2,3 etc.?

Thank you! This did work for my situation. I am not sure if this will work for folks with more complicated mapping, but it works for me. I was just overthinking the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.