Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cham
Post Patron
Post Patron

Rname column names

Hi,

I want to change my column names. I have my column names in two rows as below,

So i want to get it into the one row.

column name error.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Which part is not clear?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Using Power Query Editor,

Transpose the table,

Merge the 2 columns (tidy your data as required to get the headings you want),

Transpose the table,

Promote first row as headers

@HotChilliHi,

I'm not clear with your solution. Could you please explain me again? I have more than one column like this issue.

Which part is not clear?

When transpose the table, column names in the first row is desapier. How can i get the table name uisng transose? Also i'm not clear with merging.

If you follow my recipe, the transpose must be the first thing you do to your data set.  Remove any 'promote headers' before this.

If you have succesfully transposed the table, the first two columns will have all the proposed headers (and also null values).  You must then select the first two columns and click 'merge columns'.  Some of the values in this column will be perfect for you and others won't.  Only you can decide.  So you perform more transforms as required to get names you want.  You then transpose the table again and then promote headers. 

If you can't do any of that because it is too complex or not worth the effort then, using your example picture, rename the columns you want to change by hand and remove the first row

Could you please explain me the merging process. I did transpose table and merge, then the merge columns are coming like as follwing, This is not right

merging.PNG

Load your spreadsheet somewhere I can access it and I'll have a look

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @cham

II'm going to venture that you need to use "Use First Row as Headers" under the Home tab in the query editor

Hi,

Can't use that feature becuase some column names are alredy in the header.

Hi,

Can't use that feature becuase some column names are alredy in the header.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.