Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Rights in Power BI Service

Good morning

I created a workspace as an administrator and published a report with your dataset. When I give another user the administrator role so that they can publish the same report in the same workspace, I get a message Error  publicación PBI.pngError publicación PBI 2.png

saying that I don't have access to publish, when as you can see in the image, it's also an administrator.

Any idea what's going on?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

If you publish the same dataset and report that already has an scheduled refresh which is configured by another user, the scheduled refresh will continue to work without breaking. You don't need to configure the gateway if you don't take over the dataset.

However, if you take over the dataset, you will need to configure the gateway if your account doesn't have access to the same gateway it uses. An easy way is to ask the gateway administrator to add you as a user of the data sources which are used in this dataset. In this way, you will see this gateway is available in the Gateway connection settings of this dataset so that you can select it to make the scheduled refresh work again.

If you only want to edit and publish the report, you don't need to take over the dataset. Then everything will work without breaking. The only concern is that you'd better not change the data source settings (e.g. file paths, database names, server names...) in Power BI Desktop because in Power BI Service, the data sources in a dataset will be mapped to corresponding data sources on a gateway with the same connection information.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

I couldn't reproduce this at my side. Based on my test, once I give another user an Admin role of a workspace I created, he can publish a report into the same workspace from Power BI Desktop application. 

Perhaps the workspace access permission didn't take effect immediately due to some delay. Please let this user try again. If still not working, try updating the Power BI Desktop app to the latest version. Alternatively, he could publish the report from the service by going to this workspace > Get data > Create new content >  Files > Get > ... 

Kindly let me know if this helps.
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Hello @Syndicate_Admin ,

as you tell me it does publish it but when it comes to scheduling updates, it tells me that I have to take control since it was the other user who programmed them.

The question is: If I upload the same dataset and report that already has an associated schedule, is it going to be updated or should I reconfigure the gateway because it is a different user?

Thanks again for the help.

Best regards

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

If you publish the same dataset and report that already has an scheduled refresh which is configured by another user, the scheduled refresh will continue to work without breaking. You don't need to configure the gateway if you don't take over the dataset.

However, if you take over the dataset, you will need to configure the gateway if your account doesn't have access to the same gateway it uses. An easy way is to ask the gateway administrator to add you as a user of the data sources which are used in this dataset. In this way, you will see this gateway is available in the Gateway connection settings of this dataset so that you can select it to make the scheduled refresh work again.

If you only want to edit and publish the report, you don't need to take over the dataset. Then everything will work without breaking. The only concern is that you'd better not change the data source settings (e.g. file paths, database names, server names...) in Power BI Desktop because in Power BI Service, the data sources in a dataset will be mapped to corresponding data sources on a gateway with the same connection information.

Regards,

Thank you very much @Syndicate_Admin

Now I'm clear about what to do when you want more than one user with permissions to publish a report.

Thank you again and thank you to the community.

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.