Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

misen08
Frequent Visitor

Right way to refresh data - import Excel

Hi,

Every months, I have to extract table of data from SAP and they come in Excel files.

I'm currently making a BI file to display KPI from the files.

What should I do to update the data? Do I only have the option to overwrite the old Excel files?

What if I want to append the old and the new one? Is it going to take into account all the queries made from Power Query and all measures if they have the same structure? IE: same heading names.

Note: I know Power BI can directly work with SAP, but I can't install anything on this computer.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@misen08

If you have a folder as a source, Power BI picks up all the files in it. You can just save all the exports into the same folder without overwriting the old ones. 

So each day/month you can just save new files into the same folder and every time you refresh the query, the new files will be in your query.

If the extracts have the same structure, Power BI automatically appends them when you expand the excel file data in the query editor.

Br,

T

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

you can connect to a folder - PowerBI will read all the files there (you may want to filter some), then depending on how you set the logic, if the files will have the same structure then the aggregation should be really straight forward

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Do I have to overwrite files in order to update? Or do I have to manually set again the source of  queries?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@misen08

If you have a folder as a source, Power BI picks up all the files in it. You can just save all the exports into the same folder without overwriting the old ones. 

So each day/month you can just save new files into the same folder and every time you refresh the query, the new files will be in your query.

If the extracts have the same structure, Power BI automatically appends them when you expand the excel file data in the query editor.

Br,

T

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.