Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnsmith92
Regular Visitor

Rewrite SUMX? Poor performance when running calculations

Hi all,

I have the following table:

QueueAgentNameYearQuarterMonthScore1Weight1
1John20211January1006.87

John20212June66,675.357
1John20213September33,335.221
2Jane20202June1005.228
2Jane20203September1006.647

I am trying to dynamically calculate the weighted score based on what is in my visual - so it can go in depth from year, all the way to week.

I have the following query:

WeightedScore1 :=
ROUND (
    IFERROR (
        SUMX ( FactScore; FactScore[Score1] * FactScore[Weight1] )
            / SUM ( FactScore[Weight1] );
        IF (
            CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) > 0;
            CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) / CALCULATE ( COUNT ( FactScore[Score1] ) );
        )
    );
)

This works perfectly with the little caveat that it takes a lot to load since I have a table with 3 millions rows (which will keep growing) and 4 more scores to evaluate. I believe the culprit is the SUMX function so how can I replace it in this query and improve performance?

NB: I think this might be important - I am running this from SSAS Tabular Cube (on SQL server 2014) through a live connection. When I run the exact same measures from an excel import it works very quickly. 

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean use IF statements which check conditions that could cause an error before main calculation. For example:

WeightedScore1 :=
ROUND (
        IF (
            CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) / CALCULATE ( COUNT ( FactScore[Score1] ) );
            / SUM ( FactScore[Weight1] )
        );
)

Another point is if you have many nested IF statements then it would be better use SWITCH function (following code is just an example):

SWITCH ( TRUE();
       CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) = 0; 
          0;
       CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) < 0;
          SUMX ( FactScore; FactScore[Score1] * FactScore[Weight1] ) / SUM ( FactScore[Weight1] )
)

Thanks for the follow up, but if I'm not mistaken, what you suggest would end up evaluating the 

CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) / CALCULATE ( COUNT ( FactScore[Score1] ) ) statement first

and this is my backup statement in case I have 0s in the weight column. But your suggestion of removing IFERROR has done wonders to my query. Now I just need to figure out the conditional calculation.

Hi @johnsmith92 ,

You could use 

CALCULATE(FactScore[Score1] * FactScore[Weight1];FactScore)

instead of 

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said those were just examples to show the idea; statements and their sequence depend on your dataset and objective.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@johnsmith92 I would get rid of IFERROR; instead check conditions that could cause an error before main calculation. 

You mean I should use couple of nested IF statements?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.