Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reverse Running Total with Blank Columns

My last post was reported for some reason. PLEASE DON'T REPORT AS SPAM! 

LINK TO WORKBOOK:  Google Drive Folder 

Got a weird one for you guys. I am building a reverse running total matrix that has the week in the quarter across the columns. The rows show the different year/quarter combinations. The measure is meant to reflect the revenue that was generated on or after the current week based on the column. So, for example, there was a total of $2,486,602 in revenue for 2019 Q1, as shown in the table below. In week 1, the entire revenue for the quarter is shown, because all revenue was generated on or after week 1 in the quarter. This amount should logically decrease for each week throughout the quarter. If no revenue was generated in a specific week, that column should reflect the same amount as the column before it...

That's where I'm running into an issue. When a given week does NOT have any revenue data, the matrix cell is NOT showing the same value as the prior column. Instead, it is showing the the full revenue for the quarter (equal to the value in the week 1 column).

See the yellow highlighted cells below for an example. For 2019 Q1, week 13 reflects the same value as week 1. I have no idea why the same didn't happen for 2019 Q4...

Got a weird one for you guys. I am building a reverse running total matrix that has the week in the quarter across the columns. The rows show the different year/quarter combinations. The measure is meant to reflect the revenue that was generated on or after the current week based on the column. So, for example, there was a total of $2,486,602 in revenue for 2019 Q1, as shown in the table below. In week 1, the entire revenue for the quarter is shown, because all revenue was generated on or after week 1 in the quarter. This amount should logically decrease for each week throughout the quarter. If no revenue was generated in a specific week, that column should reflect the same amount as the column before it...

That's where I'm running into an issue. When a given week does NOT have any revenue data, the matrix cell is NOT showing the same value as the prior column. Instead, it is showing the the full revenue for the quarter (equal to the value in the week 1 column).

See the yellow highlighted cells below for an example. For 2019 Q1, week 13 reflects the same value as week 1. I have no idea why the same didn't happen for 2019 Q4...

No Slicer.JPG

Here is another example, this time with 2019 Q1 split by region. You can see that the same thing is happening for any week where there is no revenue data for the week/year/quarter/region combination.

Region Slicer.JPG

I need those yellow cells to be equal to the prior column. Here's what I've already tried:

• I've tried adding "+ 0" to the end of the measure. Doesn't work.
  • I've tested adding $0 lines to the data table this pulls from. That does work, however it is not an ideal solution for a host of reasons. I don't want dummy data in the model if I can help it.

I'm fairly certain this should be doable by adjusting the measure formula, but all of the forum posts I've seen regarding this topic discuss how to fix the blank column issues for running totals and not for reverse running totals.

Thanks so much for your help! Here is my measure formula for your reference:

Revenue On or After =
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Revenue Detail Table'[Revenue]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Revenue Detail Table'[Week]),
        'Revenue Detail Table'[Week] >= MIN('Revenue Detail Table'[Week])
    )
)

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a weird one for you guys. I am building a reverse running total matrix that has the week in the quarter across the columns. The rows show the different year/quarter combinations. The measure is meant to reflect the revenue that was generated on or after the current week based on the column. So, for example, there was a total of $2,486,602 in revenue for 2019 Q1, as shown in the table below. In week 1, the entire revenue for the quarter is shown, because all revenue was generated on or after week 1 in the quarter. This amount should logically decrease for each week throughout the quarter. If no revenue was generated in a specific week, that column should reflect the same amount as the column before it...

That's where I'm running into an issue. When a given week does NOT have any revenue data, the matrix cell is NOT showing the same value as the prior column. Instead, it is showing the the full revenue for the quarter (equal to the value in the week 1 column).

No SlicerNo Slicer

Here is another example, this time with 2019 Q1 split by region. You can see that the same thing is happening for any week where there is no revenue data for the week/year/quarter/region combination.

Region SlicerRegion Slicer

I need those yellow cells to be equal to the prior column. Here's what I've already tried:

• I've tried adding "+ 0" to the end of the measure. Doesn't work.
  • I've tested adding $0 lines to the data table this pulls from. That does work, however it is not an ideal solution for a host of reasons. I don't want dummy data in the model if I can help it.

I'm fairly certain this should be doable by adjusting the measure formula, but all of the forum posts I've seen regarding this topic discuss how to fix the blank column issues for running totals and not for reverse running totals.

Thanks so much for your help! Here is my measure formula for your reference:

Revenue On or After =
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Revenue Detail Table'[Revenue]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Revenue Detail Table'[Week]),
        'Revenue Detail Table'[Week] >= MIN('Revenue Detail Table'[Week])
    )
)

@Anonymous 

Whats the create week column? and where does the column value (1 to 13) in the screenshot comes from?

Looking at the DAX, "MIN('Revenue Detail Table'[Create Week])" is returning 1 or 0 for the weeks you don't have an entry in the table.

Post some sample data with all the used columns to better assist you.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops. That should read "Week" not "Create Week." I've updated the post. All referenced columns are in the 'Revenue Detail Table' data table.

You are correct that the DAX appears to be returning 1 or 0 in the case of missing data. How can I get that to return the number at the head of the relevant column?

Thank you,

David

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I love solving the weird ones. But I also hate typing. Can you post sample data please? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for the tip, Greg! I've scrubbed my Power BI Desktop file so it can be shared, but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. Any ideas there? Is there some other way I should post sample data?

Thanks!

Most folks just post it to OneDrive, Box, etc. and share a link.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried working with EARLIER, but that seems to be more applicable to creating new columns within data tables rather than for building measures outside of the data tables. Any other ideas? Or any chance you could show me how to use EARLIER in the example data I linked to in my post?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

Ah, I see. I've posted the file to Google Drive. Would you mind taking a look?

Thank you!

Link:

Google Drive Folder 

@Greg_Deckler I am going to start using this from now on ...😀😀 You are just not only a legend in solving power bi problems🙏

"I love solving the weird ones. But I also hate typing"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

i did not.. I was responding to you..

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't mean to accuse you! I was just tagging you for visibility to this new post since the other one was deleted. Thanks for your responses.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors