Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Revenue Formula

I have this data:

1.PNG

I've attempted to build a formula that takes the last 3 months of revenue for a company while excluding the current month, but it isn't coming out correct. The [Annual Revenue] is just the sum of those 3 months I've highlighted multiplied by 4. (750.60 + 729 + 749.06) *4.

Displaying it this way is the result I'm looking for, I just need it to be in a formula format. How can I do so? Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked. I need it to be dynamic so next month, it will give me the sum of ((Mar-May) *4) for all companies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Create the following measure:

Revenue 3 Months =
VAR Selected_Month =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ); MONTH ( TODAY () ); 1 )
VAR Selected_3_Months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ); MONTH ( TODAY () ) - 3; 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Revenue[Revenue] );
        FILTER ( ALL ( Revenue[InvoiceDate] ); Revenue[InvoiceDate] < Selected_Month );
        Revenue[InvoiceDate] >= Selected_3_Months
    )

This will give you the calculation you need:

revenue.png

If you want to have a measure based on the slicer you should create  Calendar table without relation with your table and then use the following formula:

Revenue 3 Months SLICER = 
VAR Selected_Month =
    DATE ( YEAR ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); MONTH ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); 1 )
VAR Selected_3_Months =
    DATE ( YEAR (MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); MONTH ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ) - 3; 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
         Revenue[InvoiceDate] < Selected_Month &&  Revenue[InvoiceDate] >= Selected_3_Months)

3«onths.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NipponSahore
Resolver II
Resolver II

Create a measure as 

Revenue3Months = calculate(sum(table[revenue]),filter(table,datesbetween([invoice Date], eomonth(today(),-4),eomonth(today()-1)))

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Create the following measure:

Revenue 3 Months =
VAR Selected_Month =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ); MONTH ( TODAY () ); 1 )
VAR Selected_3_Months =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ); MONTH ( TODAY () ) - 3; 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER ( ALL ( Revenue[InvoiceDate] ); Revenue[InvoiceDate] < Selected_Month );
        Revenue[InvoiceDate] >= Selected_3_Months
    )

This will give you the calculation you need:

revenue.png

If you want to have a measure based on the slicer you should create  Calendar table without relation with your table and then use the following formula:

Revenue 3 Months SLICER = 
VAR Selected_Month =
    DATE ( YEAR ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); MONTH ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); 1 )
VAR Selected_3_Months =
    DATE ( YEAR (MAX('calendar'[Date]) ); MONTH ( MAX('calendar'[Date]) ) - 3; 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
         Revenue[InvoiceDate] < Selected_Month &&  Revenue[InvoiceDate] >= Selected_3_Months)

3«onths.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix Perfect! I've been looking for a solution all day on this. Thank you so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this formula:

1.PNG

It's designed to calculate the last 3 months of revenue. What I need to figure out how to do from here is:

1. Figure out how to calculate revenue for current companies. Currently, this will calculate for all companies even if for instance their last revenue date was in 2015. I'm only concerned with looking at the past 3 months and don't want old totals in my final grand total. I have a calendar table already setup, just wasn't sure how to match the 2 or if it was necessary.

2. How to get the formula to exclude the current month we are in. So some companies have revenue populated for May, but I only want to include May once the full month is complete. So for all companies, I'm looking for Feb-Apr revenue. Once June hits, it would then be Mar-May revenue etc. etc. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.