Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincentn
Frequent Visitor

Reuse Report and Dashboard for different database Connection

Hi all,

I'm using PowerBI Desktop to create reports for a software platform that we sell. Reports are based on data model that comes from a MySQL server.This Data model is the same for each customer. I'm pretty new to PowerBI and looking for the best way to make this scalable, with as little manual work each time.

The report is great as a one off. But... we need almost the same report for each customer. It would be wonderfull to start off with a template like power bi environment. So I only have to connect to a MySQL server and then personlize the report if requested by the customer. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Vincent 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vincentn

If I understand your problem correctly, you are looking for Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates, you need to parameterize query so you can change the customer dynamically based on the value of parameter when open  the template, and then add another parameter to filter data.

Please refer to below similar discussions: 

Pass parameter to SQL Queries statement using Power BI

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1

Additionally, if your requirement is that when a user log in his account to Power bi, he can only see his data but not the whole data, you need consider implement RLS, if it is in this case, please let me know and provide more help for you.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vincentn

If I understand your problem correctly, you are looking for Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates, you need to parameterize query so you can change the customer dynamically based on the value of parameter when open  the template, and then add another parameter to filter data.

Please refer to below similar discussions: 

Pass parameter to SQL Queries statement using Power BI

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1

Additionally, if your requirement is that when a user log in his account to Power bi, he can only see his data but not the whole data, you need consider implement RLS, if it is in this case, please let me know and provide more help for you.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.