Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

messyjesse_
Frequent Visitor

Reusable table filter in Query Editor

I'm trying to scale a PBI solution for student data. We have LocationCodes that identify both in-residence and online campuses--for my current reporting I'm only interested in the in-res LocationCodes, but I plan to load the online campus information just in case.

I have six or seven queries that pull a LocationCode from a SQLS DB, and currently they all use a long WHERE clause in the source step with each LocationCode I want. It would be cumbersome to have to update all of these queries any time I want to adjust the locations to pull. Likewise, I don't want to have to use text filters or any other kind of applied step in every query that would require me to update them one at a time. What I'd like to do is use a single function/measure/calculated table (not sure what it would be considered at this point) identifying all of the LocationCodes I'm interested in, and plug that somewhere into the queries, such that the tables outputted by the function/measure/calculated table include only the records with the LocationCodes I've identified in this one place.

Does that make sense? I can provide some mockups if needed.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi messyjesse_,

Maybe I have understand your requirement. You want to import the data table which contains LocationCodes from web and from MS SQL Database, and you want to import them into PBI once then shape(remove) the data in the tables using features such as calculate table in power bi, right?

Firstly, the measure/calculate table is used in DAX which are not supported when loading data. In addtion, you create another table with one column which contains full name of locationcode then create relationship between these tables. Lastly, you can create a map visual on the created table.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.