Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chickenlicken
Helper I
Helper I

Returning the maximum value from a table (or ideally, a box/whisker plot) to display in a card

Hello!

I've been researching this question but struggling a little - I think that it may relate to Power Query which I have not yet ventured into, so would appreciate some pointers / help.

I have a table and charts that update based on filters applied by the user.

I would like to display a card next to the table that shows the maximum and minium values from those charts/table, that updates as the user changes the filter. 

I would also like to be able to use these changing values in a formula to produce a score, which will also be displayed in the card.

What is the best method?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chickenlicken ,

If i understand you correctly, you can use Measures to achieve your purpose.

Here's some sample data and measures

1.PNG

max = MAX('Table'[Amount])
min = MIN('Table'[Amount])
score = [max]/[min]

The values of max or min will be changed by slicers or page level filters and the value of formula which is using these changing values will also be changed.

2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG

For more details please check the documents below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-measures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tutorial-create-measures.

BTW, if you want one of the visual to be unaffected,

for slicers, please inactive the interactions:

7.PNG

for filters, please use visual level filters.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chickenlicken ,

If i understand you correctly, you can use Measures to achieve your purpose.

Here's some sample data and measures

1.PNG

max = MAX('Table'[Amount])
min = MIN('Table'[Amount])
score = [max]/[min]

The values of max or min will be changed by slicers or page level filters and the value of formula which is using these changing values will also be changed.

2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG

For more details please check the documents below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-measures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tutorial-create-measures.

BTW, if you want one of the visual to be unaffected,

for slicers, please inactive the interactions:

7.PNG

for filters, please use visual level filters.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@chickenlicken ,

Create Measure for Min and Max like below and use them into Card visuals: (Screen shot is attached)

Max = Max(Table[Value])

Min = Mix(Table[Value])

Capture.JPG

Don't forgrt to hit THUMBS UP and Accept this as a solution if it helps you!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@chickenlicken ,

If my post helped you so please accept this as a solution so that it will be helpful for others members.

Thanks!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@Tahreem24  Thank you - your solution looks very simple but when I try to create a new measure I get an error-  it doesn't recognise "Table"...  do I need to rename the table somehow? 

Can you show screen shot of it if possible?

Screen shot is not very easy with this, but could the problem be that I am using a table visualisation as opposed to a calculated table? 

Does this need to be a calculated table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.