Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NoobAnalyst01
Helper I
Helper I

Return value from another table with one to many relationship within those two tables

Hello,

I have two tables with the relationship below and sample data as below:Image 18.jpgImage 19.jpg

in the ASEET TABLE, for example, how can I added an column the get the value for "region" from ASSET_ATTRIBUTE table,basically need to filter asset_attribute table by type="region" and then get the value where asset_id=asset_id

Image 20.jpg

Thanks

Frank

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @NoobAnalyst01,

To achieve your requirement, please try following method, see if it works for you:

DOMICILE =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[VALUE] ),
    FILTER (
        ASSET_ATTRIBUTE,
        ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[TYPE] = "REGION"
            && ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[ASSET_ID] = ASSET[ASSET_ID]
    )
)

5.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

Hi Jin,

Thanks,

this works for me.

the only question i have is why in my filter statement, i should include a asset_id=attrtibute_value.

becaue in my relationship, i alredy join those two tables together 1:m relationship.

but when I remove the a asset_id=attrtibute_value in my formula, it doen't work, just wonder is there any reason why we should include this?

Thanks

Frank

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @NoobAnalyst01,

To achieve your requirement, please try following method, see if it works for you:

DOMICILE =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[VALUE] ),
    FILTER (
        ASSET_ATTRIBUTE,
        ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[TYPE] = "REGION"
            && ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[ASSET_ID] = ASSET[ASSET_ID]
    )
)

5.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Thank you for this! This helped me on a separate issue where "LOOKUPVALUE" was not working.

Hi Jin,

Thanks,

this works for me.

the only question i have is why in my filter statement, i should include a asset_id=attrtibute_value.

becaue in my relationship, i alredy join those two tables together 1:m relationship.

but when I remove the a asset_id=attrtibute_value in my formula, it doen't work, just wonder is there any reason why we should include this?

Thanks

Frank

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I would recomend that you take a look at the DAX function LOOKUPVALUE

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/lookupvalue-function-dax

From a first glance at your 2 tables I would suggest that you consider to restructure your ASSET_ATTRIBUTE table, create new columns from the Type column for all your asset ids.

As far as I can guess all the types are describing  the asset anf for this reason it would make sense to transform your wide table into a long table.

Even if this article was not written with Power BI tables in mind it is the shortes read about tidy data 🙂

https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v059i10/v59i10.pdf

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

there is a alteltive solution i think is duplaice the attribute table for 3 tables, and each table filter one type in the query editor step; then it will be one to one relationship with the main table.

@NoobAnalyst01

May be

Domicile =
CALCULATE ( FIRSTNONBLANK ( ASSET_ATTRIBUTE[Region], 1 ) )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

will try.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.