Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidWaters100
Post Patron
Post Patron

Return the cumulative value for the max date of a range selected by user

Hi,

I am trying to return the cumulative value for the max date of a range selected by user per below:

The end column is a movement for a single day and the middle column is cumualtive of all previous days to that point.  So first row, cumulative was 454, then a movment on 15/01/19 of -271 resulted in new cumulative of 183 (454-271).

What I need to do is get a measure to return the cumulative amount for the highest day a user selects in a between date filter:

Example - user selects dates between 15/01/19 and 30/04/19 means cumulative position is 289 (value for max date in this range).

I have tried a number of ways but cannot get it to work!  Any help greatly appreciated! 

DavidWaters100_0-1604430811185.png

Proud to be a Super User!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavidWaters100 

I build a sample to have a test.

My sample table:

1.png

You can build a calendar table and use date column in it to build a slicer.

Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Movement Date]),MAX('Table'[Movement Date]))

My measures:

Cumulative Value in Max Date = 
Var _MAXDate = MAX('Date'[Date])
Return
SUMX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]<=_MAXDate),'Table'[Movement])
Cumulative Value in Max Date 2 = 
Var _MAXMovementDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]<=_MAXDate),'Table'[Movement Date])
Return
SUMX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]=_MAXMovementDate),'Table'[Cumulative value])

You can calculate cumulative value for the highest day by Movement column directly by measure1 or you can calculate the higest day in Table which date<= higest date in slicer, and then calculate the cumulative value by the date.

Result is as below.

2.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Return the cumulative value for the max date of a range selected by user

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DavidWaters100
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

I have implemented this solution but I get the "expression refers to multiple columns....cannot be converted to scalar value".  Any ideas to resolve please - am looking into it

Hi @DavidWaters100 

If the result of your measure or calculated column returns to a table(multiple columns instead of single values), you will see this dax error.

You may use calculate function like: 

calculate(table[column1],filter(table,table[column2]= value))

Here is a blog for this dax error, and I hope it could help you solve your problem.

Blog : DAX Error: The Expression Refers to Multiple Columns. Multiple Columns Cannot Be Converted to a Scal...

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

DavidWaters100
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

Many thanks for your response.  I have looked at the example file you added and I can see that the solution is doing what I require.  I think I just need to join the calendar table to my main table but that should be fine to do.  Many thanks again, this is really appreciated!

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavidWaters100 

I build a sample to have a test.

My sample table:

1.png

You can build a calendar table and use date column in it to build a slicer.

Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Movement Date]),MAX('Table'[Movement Date]))

My measures:

Cumulative Value in Max Date = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]<=_MAXDate),'Table'[Movement])
Cumulative Value in Max Date 2 = 
Var _MAXMovementDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]<=_MAXDate),'Table'[Movement Date])
Return
SUMX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Movement Date]=_MAXMovementDate),'Table'[Cumulative value])

You can calculate cumulative value for the highest day by Movement column directly by measure1 or you can calculate the higest day in Table which date<= higest date in slicer, and then calculate the cumulative value by the date.

Result is as below.

2.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Return the cumulative value for the max date of a range selected by user

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.