Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PietroFarias
Resolver II
Resolver II

Return the context value, in a new column of measure

My question is for a question focused on a didactic example. I retrieved the table below with the measurement shown below. I am using Dax Studio for this example.

sampleBI.png

EVALUATE
ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE (
        CALCULATETABLE ( fSales, KEEPFILTERS ( dCompany[ID] = 5 ) ),
        [groupProduct],
        "totalSales", [totalSalesInPeriod]
    ),
    "totalSales_v1", [totalSalesInPeriod]
)

The totalSales column returned with the correct values for each group. The totalSales_v2 column returned without any filter.

My question is:
What would be the best practice to return in the column totalSales_V2 equal to the column totalSales? And why the filter context of the groupProduct is not applied in this column?

And the other question is, is the use of KEEPFILTERS in the example, a good practice or would using FILTER be better?
1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, what should have happened is that in the SUMMARIZE it should be for the group and the company ID while in the second, it should just be the group without the company id. You would need to implement the filter for the second one to have both the same. And I would just use FILTER and not KEEPFILTER that seems way more intuitive to me. But, that's just one opinion.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.