Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Return missing strings based on 2 conditions from two columns in the same table

Hi everyone, I was trying to solve this by looking for similar problems here but couldn't quite figure it out, some solutions involved creating a second table and use UNION/EXCEPT to show missing entries but it didn't quite work out. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction... The data: 200MB worth of rows...

Table1 Columns: String | Category | Type

There are 13 categories, each "String" needs to exist in each category with Category1 being the baseline, e.g. if the entry says "ABCD", "Cat1" then all other Cat2-13 need to say "ABCD". Sometimes a string would be missing or be misspelled for a certain category. e.g.

ABCD | Category1 | Type

ABCD | Category2 | Type

ABCD | Category3 | Type

ABCC | Category13 | Type

Type is the same across all categories/strings. There are a lot of types so I currently just filter for one type where I need to do this check. I would like to have a table returned that just shows the missing data (compared to Cat1 entries as baseline) in the below format, e.g. assuming ABCD is missing for CAT5 and is misspelled for Cat13

String | Category | Type | Error

ABCD | Cat5 | Type | Missing

ABCC | Cat13 | Type | Misspelled

Can I do this with just one table? If I create a second table with just the Cat1 baseline string values for type, each string will be unique. But since this would create another huge table I was wondering if this can be avoided. Thanks for reading!

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you want to return the missing strings in one table.

However, it may be impossible to return the missing String without comparison in power bI currently. You should create another table to have a comparison to figure out the missing string. 

You could create the temp table in a measure but it also have an effect for your calculation.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the matrix visual in the end and used count of type as value and count as column and string as rows. It at least lets me filter for those instances where a string is not occuring 13 times wihtout having to add any tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.