Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Return applicable price within time frame

Hello!

I'm still getting my way around BI and some simple things cause me to stumble.

So I have a price list with different price types. Date column of the price lists sets time frame within which the prices are applicable to certain SKU's.

And I have a sales table. I need to calculate the applicable price list price on the sales date and average within month (but thats secondary) and calculate difference between it and an actual sales price.

Applicable price types have to be sliced by the slicer, i.e. user should be able to choose different price types.

Date slicer should slice only sales dates since some of the price list prices may be set well out of a sliced time frame.

Price List size is ~ 1++ mil rows
SKU ID's ~ 25 000+ rows
Clients ~ 16 000 + rows 

Sales ~ 2+ mil rows

Tried this measure but it fails to calculate. Progress wheel spins and thats it 😞

PRICE LIST REF =
var SalesDate =
SELECTEDVALUE(DATA_SALES[SALES DATE])

var PriceValue =
CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(PRICE_LIST,[PRICE]),ALL(DATES),
FILTER(DATES,DATES[DATES]>=SalesDate && DATES[DATES]<SalesDate))

return
PriceValue

Appreciate any help!!! Thx!
Any idea is welcome! Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bpn1973 ,

Would you please try the following measure, if it doesn't work , please explain more about your expected output.

PRICE LIST REF = 
var PriceValue = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(PRICE_LIST[PRICE]),FILTER(ALL(DATES),DATES[DATES] in VALUES(DATA_SALES[SALES DATE])))
return
PriceValue

Capture5.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Cracked it. Turned out to be way simpler than I thought

bpn1973_0-1606349688555.png

PRICE LIST REFERENCE =
var mindate = MIN(DATES[DATE])
var priceref= CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(PRICES[PRICE],[PRICE]),FILTER(ALL(DATES[DATE]),DATES[DATE]<=mindate))

return
priceref

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Cracked it. Turned out to be way simpler than I thought

bpn1973_0-1606349688555.png

PRICE LIST REFERENCE =
var mindate = MIN(DATES[DATE])
var priceref= CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(PRICES[PRICE],[PRICE]),FILTER(ALL(DATES[DATE]),DATES[DATE]<=mindate))

return
priceref

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unfortunately the solution is not full. Guess it was my fault. I misinterpreted the task itself. 

So the problem is that prices in price list may be set (and usaully are) on or before the sales dates. And the solution works only for the prices that were set in the selected dates range. If the prices were set before the date range - blank is returned 😞

Guess the right logic would be to check if there were any prices for the sold items set in the price list on or before the minimum date of the date range slicer and return date and prices range starting from the first date the price was set till the max date of the date range. Hope i got that one clear.

Current solution returns prices only within the set range, ignoring those that were set before thus resulting in empty cells.

bpn1973_0-1606347635508.png

I guess that part

in VALUES(DATA_SALES[Дата продажи])

should be modified to start wtih the first date from the price list less or equal to first sales date.

Frankly I'm struggling with that problem but cant get my head around it. Dates are not consequtive in the price list and creating a virtual table would result in tenth of millions of rows

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bpn1973 ,

Would you please try the following measure, if it doesn't work , please explain more about your expected output.

PRICE LIST REF = 
var PriceValue = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(PRICE_LIST[PRICE]),FILTER(ALL(DATES),DATES[DATES] in VALUES(DATA_SALES[SALES DATE])))
return
PriceValue

Capture5.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thank you very much!

Still testing, but beems to work like a charm with a minor alteration of using AVERAGEX instead of an AVERAGE.

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Still no ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.