Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

Return Corresponding Date of 'Max Value' (like Match/Offset in Excel)?

Being a total rookie, I am unsure if there is a setting/toggle I can flick to get at this, but I am trying to display a 'card' with the max value AND the date of that value. Getting the MAX value is easy, of course, but can't figure out how to get the date of that value...assuming I would use two cards and overlay them to achieve the style I am going for, but just not sure of the DAX necessary to get the date.

In Excel, I would use MATCH/OFFSET or vlookups to find the max value, offset to get the corresponding date header, and use that value.  In PowerBI, I am clueless.

Example:

trade.jpg

So I have a card that shows the max value of the 'Total U.S. Exports' column; for the timeperiod in the screenshot, it would display "$86,192".  I would then like to show the date of this 'record-setting/highest' value.

Is there an inherent measure that gets at this, or do I need to seek a little DAX to do this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Terp 

Try it with something like this measure.

Top Period = 
FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN(1,VALUES('Table'[Period]),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Total US Exports]))),1)

jdbuchanan71_0-1623515814944.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

If I could ask a follow-up, as the FIRSTNONBLANK usage just hit me; this works ONLY because I have the date/period in the first column, correct? If the period were in the middle of all the other columns, this approach wouldn't work?

(I'll play with that now, but thought I would ask in hopes of better understanding some of these functions while I wait for a book on DAX to arrive). 🙂

Thanks again.

Not really, no.  The first part of the measure 

TOPN (
        VALUES ( 'Table'[Period] ),
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Total US Exports] ) )
    )

Gives us the top values from a table based on an expression.

How many values? 1

What table? VALUES('Table'[Period]) gives us a table of the unique items in the [Period] column.

What expression? SUM('Table'[Total US Exports]).

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! 

It was a long road to get there, but once I followed your example more closely, I got it to work. 🙂

I originally had...

VALUES('Table'[Period].[Month])

...and it was returning a month (albeit the wrong month), so I tried to add a compound value to get the month and the year, but no luck. 

So I created a new measure to return the year and it worked fine. HOWEVER, I then noticed the [period].[month] was returning the WRONG month! I could not figure out why, but finally looked more closely as your example, removed the [month] from the code, and all was well! I got the month AND year with one measure now....good to go.

I don't understand why the use of 'FIRSTNONBLANK', but I won't question it...and 'FIRSTNONBLANK' will solve another probablem I have been thinking about (how to return the last/most recent value, so charts update and reflect the latest data without me going in and changing the filter to the last month for which I have data). 

Thanks again!

The outlined portion of the measure returns a table of values.  In this case it is a table with 1 row but DAX doesn't care and gives the error 'a table of multiple values was supplied..'  FIRSTNOBLANK converts that into a scalar value based on the  expression, in this case just 1 so it just gives us the single row in the outlined table.

jdbuchanan71_0-1623546293637.png

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Terp 

Try it with something like this measure.

Top Period = 
FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN(1,VALUES('Table'[Period]),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Total US Exports]))),1)

jdbuchanan71_0-1623515814944.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.