Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retrieving text user entered into a Text Filter

Hello All

Is there a way in Power BI to determine what text a user has entered into a Text Filter search box?  I've looked  within the forums and I cannot find anything.

regards

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I'm assuming you want to retrieve this in order to display it on a report - is this correct?

If this is the case there is no way to access this information directly, but one possible work around would be to use a custom text slicer on your page instead. See here for different options related to text filtering https://exceleratorbi.com.au/text-filtering-power-bi/ (specifically the last section on using custom visuals)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try again:  Link 

You can't really do anything like that directly.

On possible work around might be to create a concatenated column of the multiple fields you want to search 

eg

AllNames = People[FirstName] & "|" & People[LastName] & "|" & People[NickName]

Then you could use a text filter over this column. The only downside is that you will more than double the storeage required for those columns, but if your table is not too big it might be a reasonable trade off. Note that I am using a vertical pipe character to delimit the different fields to prevent false positive matches (so if you have someone called "Bo Blue" they won't match a search for "Bob" as the AllName column stores them as "Bo|Blue" not "BoBlue")

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

It was not to display in the report, but to use it to search multiple columns using a single Text Filter.  I was following the article How to filter on Multiple Columns .  I've found that this works for certain data-sets but not my data-set as there are limitations to it. I think I could get it to work with my data-set if I could determine exactly what the user entered in the Text Filter.  However it looks like at the moment that this is not possible within power BI.

regards
PaulDS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies correct link as follows : Link 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.