Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anktaggrwl
Helper II
Helper II

Retrieve user photo from Salesforce into Power BI?

I'm trying to retrieve user's profile photos from Salesforce and pull them into some Power BI reports.

I have an image url that points to: 

https://mycompaniesinstance.salesforce.com/profilephoto/72936000000JuYa/F

and when I paste the url into a browser, the image is retrieved just fine, but when changing the data type to 'image url' in a report, and putting the image into a visual... i just get:

Capture.PNG

Has anyone successfully pulled in a profile photo from Salesforce into Power BI? If so, please share! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @anktaggrwl,

I've had the same question before but never bothered to ask for possible solution as adding the images to my report was not necessary. One thing I've realized in my recent Power BI report developments is that if access to something requires authentication, you may not be able to view it in Power BI desktop even if its category has been set to image URL. It could be because PBI desktop is using IE/Edge and you authenticated to SFDC using a different browser. That being said, try uploading a dummy report containing the image URL to your own workspace and edit that report in the service. Then check whether the images render but  make sure you've authenticated already authenticated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @anktaggrwl,

Can those photos be accessed anonymously?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Good point, they cannot. But I am authenticated to Salesforce and am using my credentials to pull everything else - is there not a way to download/preload the images instead of calling them as needed in a visual?

Hi @anktaggrwl,

I've had the same question before but never bothered to ask for possible solution as adding the images to my report was not necessary. One thing I've realized in my recent Power BI report developments is that if access to something requires authentication, you may not be able to view it in Power BI desktop even if its category has been set to image URL. It could be because PBI desktop is using IE/Edge and you authenticated to SFDC using a different browser. That being said, try uploading a dummy report containing the image URL to your own workspace and edit that report in the service. Then check whether the images render but  make sure you've authenticated already authenticated.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

@danextian SUCCESS!!

It makes sense that you'd have authentication passed based on the user logging into the report for the images - and since all of my users would naturally be authenticated via their own credientails and SSO into Salesforce in our org - it looks like the images work on the service, and I assume the user that is accessing the report has his/her credentials passed to SFDC when the images are retrieved as they view the report.

Success!.PNG

Hi @anktaggrwl

I'm glad it worked.

I realized about this when I was trying to connect to images in a sharepoint folder. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

When you paste it into a web browser, are you authenticated to Salesforce?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.