Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retrieve a value using a criteria on row and another on column

Hello,

here I come again with a complex DAX formula I need help with.

I have a source table like this : 

TABLE1

James_C_0-1652191166445.png

And I need to get into TABLE2 which already exists the data like follows : 

TABLE2

James_C_1-1652191209082.png

So I need a formula to put in "[TABLE2]Data column" which will go fetch the data filtering the row on the Name, and then filtering the column depending on the Q. Can someone help me figure out this formula ?

Regards

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on what I can understand by looking at your tables, table 2 looks like an unpivoted version of table 1. 
Would it suit you if you performed an unpivot operation on Table 1 in power query. ? You'd get the values you need instantly

rohit_singh_0-1652192098191.png

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.

Kind regards,

Rohit

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this 

Table =

UNION(
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q1","Answers",Questions_base[Q1]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q2","Answers",Questions_base[Q2]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q3","Answers",Questions_base[Q3]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q4","Answers",Questions_base[Q4])

)
rohit_singh_0-1652193949362.png

Appreciate your kudos!

Kind regards,

Rohit

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes. You will use this new table as a lookup table to fetch values. This can be done as follows :

1. In the new table, create a new column using a combination of the name and q's fields 

rohit_singh_0-1652194924584.png

2. Perform the same step on youir Table 2

rohit_singh_1-1652195011747.png

3. Go to 'Manage relationships' and create a link between the new table and Table 2 using the combination key as the join.

rohit_singh_2-1652195069063.png

4. Finally, go to Table 2, add a new column using the 'Related' function. This will lookup values from the new table and add them to Table 2

rohit_singh_3-1652195154940.png

10 REPLIES 10
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous  you can use unpivot table option in the power query window that will tranform your first table in the same format that you have in the second table. then you can merge table1 and table2. You wont need to write complex dax code.

go to your powerquery window, select all the columns (Q1 to Q4) and then unpivot them

once you have both tables in the same format. then you can use merge queries option to merge both the tables. you select both tables and then select merge queries. this all is possible in the power query window

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to do it with DAX as the Q columns already are calculated columns in DAX

rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on what I can understand by looking at your tables, table 2 looks like an unpivoted version of table 1. 
Would it suit you if you performed an unpivot operation on Table 1 in power query. ? You'd get the values you need instantly

rohit_singh_0-1652192098191.png

Kind regards,

Rohit

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need it to do it with dax as the Q columns already are calculated columns in DAX

@Anonymous though not recommended to use dax to unpivot but you can try below link. similar problem was solved there as well

powerbi - Is it possible to unpivot in Power BI using DAX? - Stack Overflow

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well can we filter tables not only in rows but also columns ? I struggle to put the DAX code but I can do it easily in VBA

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this 

Table =

UNION(
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q1","Answers",Questions_base[Q1]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q2","Answers",Questions_base[Q2]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q3","Answers",Questions_base[Q3]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(Questions_base,"Name",[Name],"Q's","Q4","Answers",Questions_base[Q4])

)
rohit_singh_0-1652193949362.png

Appreciate your kudos!

Kind regards,

Rohit

Anonymous
Not applicable

This creates a new table ? What I am looking for is a formula to put in the calculated column "Data column". I have other columns before I need to keep

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes. You will use this new table as a lookup table to fetch values. This can be done as follows :

1. In the new table, create a new column using a combination of the name and q's fields 

rohit_singh_0-1652194924584.png

2. Perform the same step on youir Table 2

rohit_singh_1-1652195011747.png

3. Go to 'Manage relationships' and create a link between the new table and Table 2 using the combination key as the join.

rohit_singh_2-1652195069063.png

4. Finally, go to Table 2, add a new column using the 'Related' function. This will lookup values from the new table and add them to Table 2

rohit_singh_3-1652195154940.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked perfectly. Thanks a lot !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.