Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MGinGermany

Retain file name in a column when using Sharepoint Folder and Excel sheet as a data source

Hello,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with the problem:

I have a subfolder in a company run Sharepoint sitethat will be updated with excel files on a regular basis. The date of the report is only contained within the file name, thus this must be included in the extracted binary. (2019-09-04_filename.xls)

I have followed the solution listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Retain-file-name-column-when-using-Folder-as-a-data-source-... 

Unforutnately this does not seem to work with the sharepoint folder and Excel file combination (unless I am editing the code improperly?). Can someone help me understand what I am doing incorrectly? Please let me know what additional information you may require!

Thank you!

Michael

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MGinGermany ,

What connection are you using has the source the Sharepoint Folder or the web link?

On my experience working with sharepoint folders I was abble to save the file name by making a function to make the treatment of one file and then aplying that function to a folder of sharepoint, since the input for the function comes from the sharepoint folder data it has location, name , size and so on I just keep the file name and the columns I need after the function runs.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix , thx for the help, I forgot to check the Removed Other Columns applied step... 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.