Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

7ea8ea
Helper III
Helper III

Results against Date Graph (Scatter or Line)

Hi,

I recently started working on a Power BI project assigned to me. Basically what I have to do is to plot results on the y-axis and date-time on the x-axis. However, I have been having trouble doing so. When I plot a line graph, the 'Don't Summarize' option did not appear and when I plot the scatter chart, Power BI tells me that my x and y-axis values aren't playing together nicely. The data I am using is one I have pulled from ODBC and it looks something like this: 

ProductTypeMinimumMaximumResultDate
A1<=5 31/11/2019 3:19:20 PM
A2>=8 101/11/2019 3:19:20 PM
A35971/11/2019 3:19:20 PM
A441072/11/2019 4:20:07 AM
B1<=5 22/11/2019 4:20:07 AM
B2>=8 9 2/11/2019 4:20:07 AM

I have thousands of rows similar to this. May I ask how should I go about plotting the raw data Results against Date-time? Any help would be fully appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @7ea8ea

The line chart is not meant to handle multiple datapoints on the Y-axis while on the same X-axis value. 

You can achieve this with a scatter chart but it requires you to use an idex column as a legend, meaning that every dot will have a different color by default:

image.png

Instead I would advice you to use the custom visual, "Dot Plot, by MAQ software". Here you wont have the same issue with colors:

image.png

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @7ea8ea

The line chart is not meant to handle multiple datapoints on the Y-axis while on the same X-axis value. 

You can achieve this with a scatter chart but it requires you to use an idex column as a legend, meaning that every dot will have a different color by default:

image.png

Instead I would advice you to use the custom visual, "Dot Plot, by MAQ software". Here you wont have the same issue with colors:

image.png

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Hi J,

Is it possible to plot target lines in Dot Plot? I also want to plot the maximum and minimum lines for each type. Thank you

Hi J,

Thank you for the clarification. However, I see that the y-axis in your example is still in 'sum'. For my data, 'sum' would be undesirable as I do need the raw data to be plotted. However, when I do change 'sum' to 'Don't summarize', Power BI says that my x and y-axis don't play well together. Any idea how do I fix that? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

T

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

The Y-axis / Value in the visuals will require an aggregation. To get around this you need to use an index or other unique identifier to seperate the datapoints. There will still be an aggregation, but the aggregation will only contain a single row of data meaning that you should always get the individual datapoint even if you're performing an aggregation. 

As to the target lines im not quite sure. I'm not too familiar with the visual from MAQ Software so i'm not sure if they offer the functionality. I can take a closer look later this week but I'm not too hopefull sadly! 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Hi J,

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,

T

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.