Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Restructuring or adding measures to transform existing data into a matrix style table

I have a table of people from multiple offices and projects:

Table1:

Project#employeeIDOfficeGender
X008001AM
x008002AF
x009001AM
x010003BF
x008004CF
x011004CF

What I am interested in seeing, and was able to achieve with a matrix visualization is:

MatrixTable:

employeeIDOfficeGenderProjectCount
001AM2
002AF1
003BF1
004CF2

However my end goal is to be able to use the count of employeeID as seen in the matrix derived table and the other columns above to create visuals for say the gender distribution in the company or number of people working on 2 projects or which offices people are working out of. I cannot see a way to use the visual to create other visuals, so I assume I must use measures somehow to duplicate the matrix columns.

I have also created a second table using a copy of the employeeID column from the original table with duplicates removed and added an index column to get an accurate employye count. This is related to the original table in a one to many relationship using the employeeID column, however PowerBI doesnt seem to be able to use this relationship using count of Index to create the visuals I am after.

For clarity the second table I created in Power Query is:

Table2:

employeeID (duplicates removed)Index

Can someone please advise me on the approach I should use to solve this problem?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You cannot use the matrix visual to create other visuals. But you can create a calculated table based on Table1 to get the same result as your matrix visual. Then you can use this calculated table to create other visuals.

MatrixTable = SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[employeeID],Table1[Office],Table1[Gender],"ProjectCount",COUNT(Table1[Project#]))

050708.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You cannot use the matrix visual to create other visuals. But you can create a calculated table based on Table1 to get the same result as your matrix visual. Then you can use this calculated table to create other visuals.

MatrixTable = SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[employeeID],Table1[Office],Table1[Gender],"ProjectCount",COUNT(Table1[Project#]))

050708.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This works perfectly!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , bit confused table 2, should be possible with count(Table[employeeID]) or count(Table[Project #]) as measures or when you add the column to visual choose count as aggregation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally a bar chart of

Axis: table1[gender]

Legend: table1[]gender]

Value: Count of table2[index]

gives me two columns male and female, each with count 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried again adding the count of table2[employeeID] with table1[gender] and the pie chart is producing a 50/50 distribution of gender - which i assume it is getting due to the fact that there or 2 choices in the gender column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.