Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Restriction on number of queries in Power BI

Hi All,

There is any restriction on number queries in Power Query. We are working on a report where I need to pull the data with different filter conditions so I am creating more than 100 queries.

The issue is if the report contains more than 80 queries we are not able to publish the report to Power BI Service.

Any thoughts on root cause for this? I assuming there might be a restriction on a number of queries.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sunkari,

I haven't found any limitation about table amount, I think you should check your pbix file size first.

Current power bi server contains size limit of pbix file.(1Gb)

Reference link:

Data sources for the Power BI service

Considerations and Limitations

For all data sources used in the Power BI service, the following considerations and limitations apply. There are other limitations that apply to specific features, but the following list apply to the Power BI service overall:

• Dataset size limit - there is a 1 GB limit for each dataset in the Power BI service.
  • Row limit - the maximum number of rows in your dataset (when not using DirectQuery) is 2 billion, with three of those rows reserved (resulting in a usable maximum of 1,999,999,997 rows); the maximum number of rows when using DirectQuery is 1 million rows.
  • Column limit - the maximum number of columns allowed in a dataset, across all tables in the dataset, is 16,000 columns. This applies to the Power BI service and to datasets used in Power BI Desktop. Power BI uses an internal row number column per table included in the dataset, which means the maximum number of columns is 16,000 minus one for each table used in the dataset.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I haven't seen one published. Can you give me some better insight into your data? Perhaps we can solve the problem there by refactoring your data model. You should be able to just pull the data and do the filtering within the visualizations and measures.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.