Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPHarris1
Helper I
Helper I

Restricting data access for Developers in Power Bi

Hi There,

This is a bit of a odd request, basically I've been asked to create a report using powerbi desktop, however the data underneath in one particular column contains sensitive information I should not be able to see. Is there anyway of hiding or restricting data I can see in a particular column in powerquery and DAX, even though I am currently creating a report using that field as a input? I can use the field at a higher level of granularity, just not the level of granularity I am receiving it in. Transforming it to a higher level of granularity.

I did wonder about row level security, however it is a slightly different use case, being restricting my own access to the data in powerbi desktop on one field rather than anything else.

Many Thanks for your help,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
4 REPLIES 4
MarkPHarris1
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help, I think as most of you agree its impossible, the problem being I can't look at the data myself as a developer which means I can't even create a solution and therefore the solution has to probably come from the data source. I've accepted the Masking answer as the solution though, as the idea of hiding the data in a table linked to nothing and only showing values through a measure with row level security while still showing all the values would be the best idea if I could actually look at the data!

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @MarkPHarris1 

To my knowledge, it could not achieve that hide a column for Developers in power bi,

i think you may refer to workaround, in datasource, do not give the access for these developers, and then export their pbix file as a pbit file for higher level of users, now higher level of users add this column in power query.

https://www.powerbitutorial.org/tutorials/power-bi-templates/

or

use a parameter to create a different datasource for it

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MarkPHarris1 it is not possible to restrict the view of the column until data from the source is encrypter, either you will have access to the column or not.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.