Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Restrict data in PBI desktop using Live Query

I have a fact table containing 600 million records to be used in PBI desktop and I need to build some Analytical reports on this using the Live query mode in Desktop and finally upload it to PBI service on cloud.  

Is there a way to restrict data while trying to connect to this fact table because I am not able to see or do anyting because of this huge data and it throws error consistently.

As a source we are using the sql server build on a VM present in Azure Cloud.

Please let us know if there is any solution / workarround to this issue.   

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, when you are getting data from sql server, you could edit sql statement to filter the data you want to show:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont have any requirement to filter dta here as I want to use entire data for Live reporting, users will have the priviledge to filter data based on the dashboard prompts created once the report/dashboard is created and published to Cloud service. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

This is an issue I'm facing currently.

As already been suggested, there is the use of a SQL query to restrict the data.

You could look at using parameters, passed by the end-user using the Power BI Service, that are embedded into the SQL query so the query is processed source side.
Something I am looking at now is the use of a SSAS cube and using Direct Query against that (Source >> SSAS >> Power BI).

I would like to know how others have approached this too as it seems it is common need and if not fulfilled the reporting will be not fit for purpose.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.