Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gjadal
Employee
Employee

Restrict Report page tooltip to one column

I have a table matrix visual. I have set the tooltip as a report page.

The tooltip shows up correctly when i hover over any cell in the matrix.

However I want to show the tooltip only for one of the columns. Currently it shows for all cells and is very annoying for user when the tooltip is always there when mouse is moved over the cells.

How can I restrict it to one column?

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, 

One Simple workaround is there but it may lead to loose some existing functionality of table visual . Just place textbox or any shape with 100% transparency in the table area where you don’t require report page tooltip. Not recommended solution but can ease some work in case you are displaying huge number of columns in table visual.
this workaround will disable click and scroll functionality in table visual where textbox is placed , remaining place will work as it is since we are just adding text box in certain area of table visual .

I hope Microsoft will definitely release column specific tooltip property for Table visual in coming release.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @gjadal 

One Simple workaround is there but it may lead to loose some existing functionality of table visual . Just place textbox or any shape with 100% transparency in the table area where you don’t require report page tooltip. Not recommended solution but can ease some work in case you are displaying huge number of columns in table visual.
this workaround will disable click and scroll functionality in table visual where textbox is placed , remaining place will work as it is since we are just adding text box in certain area of table visual .

I hope Microsoft will definitely release column specific tooltip property for Table visual in coming release.

Thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There might be something ticky that you can do but I am not aware of any way to make that happen easily. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler 
Is there any other way to achieve this?

Thanks & Regards,

Sai

I was able to achieve this by setting the Tooltip to the column name in the page that contained the tooltip

Hi would you mind sending me step by step instructions on how you did it. I don't see any options on how you restrict a tooltip to one column in a table.

Thanks,

1. Create the main report page with the table matrix visual and lets say you have three columns Date, MonthlyValue, LifetimeValue on it. I want the popup tooltip to show only on MonthlyValue column.

2. Create a second report page with the popup you want to see. In my case i added a chart on this page using date as x axis and the MonthlyValue as Y-axis

3. On the second report page,

a. go to page properties -> Page information and turn on tooltip

b. On the fields tab, look for TOOLTIP. Drag the MonthlyValue column into it.

4. On the first report page, select the table visual turn on tooltip and select ReportPage, Page = Auto

Thats it. The Popup chart created on second report page will show up only for the Monthly value column.

Hope this helps.

This is one of the best features that I add into my reports.

I like to add a custom magnifying glass icon to my report in a "Details" column, so users hover over the magnifying glass in the given row and the entire drillthrough pops up on the screen. This is a giant help to keeping the users on the same page throughout, and not having to keep navigating back and forth reloading web pages -- bc without this method, they would have to keep navving to + clicking the drillthrough button <-- then go back.

Thank you for solution, you made it possible for me.

Thanks for this!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonus:

With this "Auto" tooltip page setting you still have an mouseover for the other columns. It is a standard mousover and usually won't be a problem. If you want to get rid of this as well do following:

If you set the transparency in the tooltip settings of the table matrix to 100 %, the tooltip for all other columns disapear. I think this is quite a cool approach to display the tooltip for one column of a matrix table only.

Capture2.PNG

Thanks for this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It works but only if you set the tooltip column to "Summarized"

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous I did not get it working on a table visual, even when I set the tooltip column to "Summarized"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for asking.

Sorry for the late reply - I was on vacation.

Did you manage to get id running or do you need help?

I did not get it running on a table visualization. I had to change my visualization to matrix, then I was able to restrict the tooltip to only one column.

This method seems very limited - the tooltip appears for all the fields specified in the Values well of the Matrix.  It only reverts to the default Tooltip for the fields specified in the Rows and Columns wells. 

So it seems only useful if your requirements are limited to one field in Values. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @mike_honey 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gjadal 

Thanks for your response. It works fine for the Matrix visual. However, in my case I'm trying to achieve this for the Table visual which isn't working.
In the below screenshot, I want to restrict the tooltip (last name) to only First Name column. (pbix file attached)
TooltipRestriction.JPG
Do you have any workaround for the Table visual?
Sample Power BI File

Thanks in Advance!

Sai

I could only get it to work with matrix visual.

Cant you switch to that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I cannot switch to Matrix visual in my case.
Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.