Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Restrict Publishing from Desktop to Service

I'm being asked to restrict the ability of a desktop user to publish to the PBI service. Only a few developers should have publish authority. I know we can restrict app workspaces, apps, etc. but the request it to totally prevent desktop users from publhishing, even to their own "My Workspace." Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft rep got back with a solution. In short, upgrade to Premium service and remove all Pro licenses except keep developers as Pro. That way free users can consume through the service but cannot publish or share. We were not ready to move to Premium but it appears that is the only option. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
STollaf
Regular Visitor

We have the same need.  As we are only at 60 users, premium is a hefty price to pay for a little control. 

Is there even anyway to know if someone has published something to their own workspace?  That actually doesn't bother us so much, it's when they share it with others.  Now we have data spreading that has not been confirmed against our governance policies.  

This is a massive security problem for us. Are there any updates other than to buy another product (premium)?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

A workaround is to disable sign ups for Power BI, this way, users can't publish PBIX file to Power BI Service. There is a similar thread for your reference.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But we want the information consumers to use Power BI service, just not have the ability to publish anything there. If we disable sign in are we not also preventing them from consuming content on the service?

@Anonymous,

Yes. Please submit an feature request in Power BI ideas forum about preventing users from publishing PBIX file.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft rep got back with a solution. In short, upgrade to Premium service and remove all Pro licenses except keep developers as Pro. That way free users can consume through the service but cannot publish or share. We were not ready to move to Premium but it appears that is the only option. 

Hi @Anonymous

I was wondering if this would disable publishing to 'My Workspace' for Free Users ?

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LivioLanzosorry I missed your post. I'm not sure if it would disable free user publishing to "My Workspace" but according to Microsoft it would achieve our objectives since free users cannot share. We plan to get premium service, go to free licenses for all users except a handful of BI developers with Pro licenses. 

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

i am not sure if such setting exists, you need to check in the Admin Portal, but you can always prevent certain users from sharing

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

No setting exists in admin portal. There is no way for me to prevent users from sharing content ineternally that they publsihed to their own workspace. We are trying to use Power BI service for IT-authored, certified, reporting. I know...this goes against the decentralized approach of Power BI. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.