Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kashinoda
Advocate I
Advocate I

Restrict Column Access with RLS - Almost there but some annoyances.

Hi All,

I have a Sales table which contains a SalesDescription, a small number of these descriptions are confidential - though everyone should be able to see additional sales information (SalesNumber, SalesAmount etc.)

I pulled the SalesDescription field into a new table, added a ConfidentialFlag column and added an RLS role 'Everyone' which allows all users to see the description where ConfidentialFlag = "N". Another RLS role uses a lookup table which allows certain users to see confidential descriptions.

My issue is when viewing a report as 'Everyone' role, the SalesAmount does not show where rows from the confidential table are blocked. Interestingly this does NOT happen on older PowerBI versions (e.g. Oct 2017) but does happen on the latest desktop and PowerBI Online.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kashinoda
Advocate I
Advocate I

Managed to solve it by making the relationship between DimSales and FactSalesConfidential inactive then using a measure to return the description instead.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kashinoda
Advocate I
Advocate I

Managed to solve it by making the relationship between DimSales and FactSalesConfidential inactive then using a measure to return the description instead.

Hi 

I have similar situation where I need to hide column data based on users, but I have to hide whole column data for specific users.

Can you please help how to acheive this

shebr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Kashinoda

Can you provide the screenshot of your role formula? It seems to be doing what I expect it to be doing, not sure what you are trying to achieve exactly here? Have you added the 'regular' user to the role memebership or not?

Thanks

Hi @shebr

Sorry by regular user I mean the 'Everyone' role, I've updated the original post to include the output from an older PowerBI version (which is what I want). Here is the role, very simple:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.