Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jatin_
Frequent Visitor

Restart running total in DAX BASED ON MEASURE

Hi Team,

I used below formula to retrieve the cumulative total of last 9 months of a mesure.

"Cumulative 9 months =
Var N1=SUMMARIZE(FILTER(ALL('Date'),[Month Year]<=MAX('Date'[Month Year])),'Date'[Month Year],"Sum",'Measures Table'[Monthly Value])
Var N2=TOPN(9,N1,[Month Year],DESC)
return
IF([last 4 months]=0,0 ,SUMX(N2,[Sum]))"

The formula was shared by @v-zhangti  in my previous post

jatin__0-1653637587594.png

The formula seems to be working fine however I would  like the running total of 9 months to reset at 2022-01 as it hits 0 and then only cumulate afterwards upto 9 Months and not from the begining of the data. 

Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jatin_ ,

You can refer the following blog to achieve it.

Power Query method:

Accumulative, conditional accumulative in Power Query

yingyinr_0-1653988526759.png

DAX method:

Cumulative Sum column. Resets if row value = 0

yingyinr_1-1653989081977.png

Cumulative sum that resets every year

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft , Thanks for sharing your solution. I tried following the DAX approach as it fits more to my problem however despite getting all the variant correctly(can be seen in pic below), the sum isnt reflecting what is expected. In April 2022, it should have cumulated value from Feb 22 to April 22.

Is there anything I'm missing 

Conditional **bleep** =

VAR _currentValue = [LAST 4 MONTHS]

VAR _currentmonth = MAX('Date'[Month Year])

VAR _sum = SUMX(FILTER('Date', 'Date'[Month Year]<= _currentmonth), [Monthly Value])

VAR _last0Month = CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Month Year]), FILTER('Date', 'Date'[Month Year] <= _currentmonth && _currentValue = 0))

RETURN IF(_currentValue = 0, 0,

SUMX(FILTER('Date','Date'[Month Year]>= _last0Month && 'Date'[Month Year]<=  _currentmonth),[Monthly Value]))

jatin__0-1654079959709.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That seems not very productive.  You would have the full cumulative only for four month of the year?  What's the benefit of doing it this way?

Hi @lbendlin , Appreciate your response, in my scenario the score needs to cumulate for 9 months irrespective of the calendar year. However it also needs to reset to 0 once there's 0 score in consecutive 4 Months(including current Month) which happened in month of January 2022. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors