cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markholland Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Rest API _ Json _ several pages _ automatically call the next_page_URL

Hi @ImkeF,

There always seems to be a hurdle somewhere. Apparently you can schedule a refresh on a dataset with pagination in the M Language, which is the main part I'm trying to achieve.

Do you know any ways around this?

Mark

Super User
Super User

Yes Mark, that's an issue. If you skip to the end of the thread that you've mentioned, you'll find a solution for it 🙂

Or check this article which has a very detailled description/solution: http://blog.datainspirations.com/2018/02/17/dynamic-web-contents-and-power-bi-refresh-errors/

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. An if I did answer your question, please mark my post as a solution. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@Paull@ImkeF

I am trying to call APIs from Freshservice. After many weeks, I finally was able to call the site which returned only 30 records. I need to be able to paginate. I have visited every single link mentioned on the blogs but I am not able to follow...can any of you please see what I am doing wrong here

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages",[Headers=[Authorizati... xxxxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
iterations = Source[total_pages], // get the information within the response
url = "https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", // here goes your URL

FnGetOnePage =
(url) as record =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", [Headers=[Authorization="xxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
Page = try Source[connections] otherwise null, //get the data of the first page
next = try Source[next_page_url] otherwise null, // the script ask if there is another page
res = [Page=page, Next=next]
in
res,

GeneratedList =
List.Generate(
()=>[i=0, res = FnGetOnePage(url)],
each [i]<iterations and [res][Page]<>null,
each [i=[i]+1, res = FnGetOnePage([res][Next])],
each [Page][Data]),
#"Converti en table" = Table.FromList(GeneratedList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converti en table"

Super User
Super User

At which step does the query break and what error-message do you get?

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. An if I did answer your question, please mark my post as a solution. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

api error.jpg

api error.jpg

Super User
Super User

You're missing the let-keyword at the beginning:

let Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages",[Headers=[Authorizati... xxxxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
iterations = Source[total_pages], // get the information within the response
url = "https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", // here goes your URL

FnGetOnePage =
(url) as record =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", [Headers=[Authorization="xxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
Page = try Source[connections] otherwise null, //get the data of the first page
next = try Source[next_page_url] otherwise null, // the script ask if there is another page
res = [Page=page, Next=next]
in
res,

GeneratedList =
List.Generate(
()=>[i=0, res = FnGetOnePage(url)],
each [i]<iterations and [res][Page]<>null,
each [i=[i]+1, res = FnGetOnePage([res][Next])],
each [Page][Data]),
#"Converti en table" = Table.FromList(GeneratedList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converti en table"

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

@ImkeF

I have posted the error image

Also i wanted to give you some context I am able to call Freshservice API but it only returns 30 records

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets.json ", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic xxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"cc_email", "created_at", "deleted", "department_id_value", "display_id", "due_by", "email_config_id", "frDueBy", "fr_escalated", "group_id", "id", "isescalated", "owner_id", "priority", "requester_id", "responder_id", "source", "spam", "status", "subject", "ticket_type", "to_email", "updated_at", "description", "description_html", "status_name", "requester_status_name", "priority_name", "source_name", "requester_name", "responder_name", "to_emails", "department_name", "assoc_problem_id", "assoc_change_id", "assoc_change_cause_id", "assoc_asset_id", "custom_field"}, {"Column1.cc_email", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.deleted", "Column1.department_id_value", "Column1.display_id", "Column1.due_by", "Column1.email_config_id", "Column1.frDueBy", "Column1.fr_escalated", "Column1.group_id", "Column1.id", "Column1.isescalated", "Column1.owner_id", "Column1.priority", "Column1.requester_id", "Column1.responder_id", "Column1.source", "Column1.spam", "Column1.status", "Column1.subject", "Column1.ticket_type", "Column1.to_email", "Column1.updated_at", "Column1.description", "Column1.description_html", "Column1.status_name", "Column1.requester_status_name", "Column1.priority_name", "Column1.source_name", "Column1.requester_name", "Column1.responder_name", "Column1.to_emails", "Column1.department_name", "Column1.assoc_problem_id", "Column1.assoc_change_id", "Column1.assoc_change_cause_id", "Column1.assoc_asset_id", "Column1.custom_field"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "Column1.cc_email", {"cc_emails", "fwd_emails", "reply_cc", "tkt_cc"}, {"Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"}),
#"Expanded Column1.custom_field" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email", "Column1.custom_field", {"level_2_12133", "level_3_12133", "preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "best_time_to_contact_12133", "phone_number_12133", "level_1_12133", "office_location_12133", "job_number_12133"}, {"Column1.custom_field.level_2_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_3_12133", "Column1.custom_field.preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.best_time_to_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.phone_number_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_1_12133", "Column1.custom_field.office_location_12133", "Column1.custom_field.job_number_12133"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.custom_field", "Column1.cc_email.cc_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc")
in
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"

On Freshservice site, it says that to iterate through pages, we need to do this api pagination.jpg

Thus if you see the new query i have appended page to the end of the url, 

("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages

@ImkeF

Also i wanted to give you some context I am able to call Freshservice API but it only returns 30 records

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets.json ", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic xxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"cc_email", "created_at", "deleted", "department_id_value", "display_id", "due_by", "email_config_id", "frDueBy", "fr_escalated", "group_id", "id", "isescalated", "owner_id", "priority", "requester_id", "responder_id", "source", "spam", "status", "subject", "ticket_type", "to_email", "updated_at", "description", "description_html", "status_name", "requester_status_name", "priority_name", "source_name", "requester_name", "responder_name", "to_emails", "department_name", "assoc_problem_id", "assoc_change_id", "assoc_change_cause_id", "assoc_asset_id", "custom_field"}, {"Column1.cc_email", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.deleted", "Column1.department_id_value", "Column1.display_id", "Column1.due_by", "Column1.email_config_id", "Column1.frDueBy", "Column1.fr_escalated", "Column1.group_id", "Column1.id", "Column1.isescalated", "Column1.owner_id", "Column1.priority", "Column1.requester_id", "Column1.responder_id", "Column1.source", "Column1.spam", "Column1.status", "Column1.subject", "Column1.ticket_type", "Column1.to_email", "Column1.updated_at", "Column1.description", "Column1.description_html", "Column1.status_name", "Column1.requester_status_name", "Column1.priority_name", "Column1.source_name", "Column1.requester_name", "Column1.responder_name", "Column1.to_emails", "Column1.department_name", "Column1.assoc_problem_id", "Column1.assoc_change_id", "Column1.assoc_change_cause_id", "Column1.assoc_asset_id", "Column1.custom_field"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "Column1.cc_email", {"cc_emails", "fwd_emails", "reply_cc", "tkt_cc"}, {"Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"}),
#"Expanded Column1.custom_field" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email", "Column1.custom_field", {"level_2_12133", "level_3_12133", "preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "best_time_to_contact_12133", "phone_number_12133", "level_1_12133", "office_location_12133", "job_number_12133"}, {"Column1.custom_field.level_2_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_3_12133", "Column1.custom_field.preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.best_time_to_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.phone_number_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_1_12133", "Column1.custom_field.office_location_12133", "Column1.custom_field.job_number_12133"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.custom_field", "Column1.cc_email.cc_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc")
in

On Freshservice site, it says that to iterate through pages, we need to do this api pagination.jpg

let
in

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)