cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markholland Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Rest API _ Json _ several pages _ automatically call the next_page_URL

Hi @ImkeF,

There always seems to be a hurdle somewhere. Apparently you can schedule a refresh on a dataset with pagination in the M Language, which is the main part I'm trying to achieve.

Do you know any ways around this?

Mark

ImkeF
MVP

Yes Mark, that's an issue. If you skip to the end of the thread that you've mentioned, you'll find a solution for it 🙂

Or check this article which has a very detailled description/solution: http://blog.datainspirations.com/2018/02/17/dynamic-web-contents-and-power-bi-refresh-errors/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@Paull@ImkeF

I am trying to call APIs from Freshservice. After many weeks, I finally was able to call the site which returned only 30 records. I need to be able to paginate. I have visited every single link mentioned on the blogs but I am not able to follow...can any of you please see what I am doing wrong here

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages",[Headers=[Authorizati... xxxxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
iterations = Source[total_pages], // get the information within the response
url = "https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", // here goes your URL

FnGetOnePage =
(url) as record =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", [Headers=[Authorization="xxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
Page = try Source[connections] otherwise null, //get the data of the first page
next = try Source[next_page_url] otherwise null, // the script ask if there is another page
res = [Page=page, Next=next]
in
res,

GeneratedList =
List.Generate(
()=>[i=0, res = FnGetOnePage(url)],
each [i]<iterations and [res][Page]<>null,
each [i=[i]+1, res = FnGetOnePage([res][Next])],
each [Page][Data]),
#"Converti en table" = Table.FromList(GeneratedList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converti en table"

Highlighted
ImkeF
MVP

At which step does the query break and what error-message do you get?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

api error.jpg

api error.jpg

ImkeF
MVP

You're missing the let-keyword at the beginning:

let Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages",[Headers=[Authorizati... xxxxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
iterations = Source[total_pages], // get the information within the response
url = "https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", // here goes your URL

FnGetOnePage =
(url) as record =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages", [Headers=[Authorization="xxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
Page = try Source[connections] otherwise null, //get the data of the first page
next = try Source[next_page_url] otherwise null, // the script ask if there is another page
res = [Page=page, Next=next]
in
res,

GeneratedList =
List.Generate(
()=>[i=0, res = FnGetOnePage(url)],
each [i]<iterations and [res][Page]<>null,
each [i=[i]+1, res = FnGetOnePage([res][Next])],
each [Page][Data]),
#"Converti en table" = Table.FromList(GeneratedList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converti en table"

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

@ImkeF

I have posted the error image

Also i wanted to give you some context I am able to call Freshservice API but it only returns 30 records

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets.json ", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic xxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"cc_email", "created_at", "deleted", "department_id_value", "display_id", "due_by", "email_config_id", "frDueBy", "fr_escalated", "group_id", "id", "isescalated", "owner_id", "priority", "requester_id", "responder_id", "source", "spam", "status", "subject", "ticket_type", "to_email", "updated_at", "description", "description_html", "status_name", "requester_status_name", "priority_name", "source_name", "requester_name", "responder_name", "to_emails", "department_name", "assoc_problem_id", "assoc_change_id", "assoc_change_cause_id", "assoc_asset_id", "custom_field"}, {"Column1.cc_email", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.deleted", "Column1.department_id_value", "Column1.display_id", "Column1.due_by", "Column1.email_config_id", "Column1.frDueBy", "Column1.fr_escalated", "Column1.group_id", "Column1.id", "Column1.isescalated", "Column1.owner_id", "Column1.priority", "Column1.requester_id", "Column1.responder_id", "Column1.source", "Column1.spam", "Column1.status", "Column1.subject", "Column1.ticket_type", "Column1.to_email", "Column1.updated_at", "Column1.description", "Column1.description_html", "Column1.status_name", "Column1.requester_status_name", "Column1.priority_name", "Column1.source_name", "Column1.requester_name", "Column1.responder_name", "Column1.to_emails", "Column1.department_name", "Column1.assoc_problem_id", "Column1.assoc_change_id", "Column1.assoc_change_cause_id", "Column1.assoc_asset_id", "Column1.custom_field"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "Column1.cc_email", {"cc_emails", "fwd_emails", "reply_cc", "tkt_cc"}, {"Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"}),
#"Expanded Column1.custom_field" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email", "Column1.custom_field", {"level_2_12133", "level_3_12133", "preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "best_time_to_contact_12133", "phone_number_12133", "level_1_12133", "office_location_12133", "job_number_12133"}, {"Column1.custom_field.level_2_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_3_12133", "Column1.custom_field.preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.best_time_to_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.phone_number_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_1_12133", "Column1.custom_field.office_location_12133", "Column1.custom_field.job_number_12133"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.custom_field", "Column1.cc_email.cc_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc")
in
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"

On Freshservice site, it says that to iterate through pages, we need to do this api pagination.jpg

Thus if you see the new query i have appended page to the end of the url, 

("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets/?pages

@ImkeF

Also i wanted to give you some context I am able to call Freshservice API but it only returns 30 records

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://swinerton.freshservice.com/helpdesk/tickets/filter/all_tickets.json ", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic xxxxxxx", #"Content_Type"="application/json"]])),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"cc_email", "created_at", "deleted", "department_id_value", "display_id", "due_by", "email_config_id", "frDueBy", "fr_escalated", "group_id", "id", "isescalated", "owner_id", "priority", "requester_id", "responder_id", "source", "spam", "status", "subject", "ticket_type", "to_email", "updated_at", "description", "description_html", "status_name", "requester_status_name", "priority_name", "source_name", "requester_name", "responder_name", "to_emails", "department_name", "assoc_problem_id", "assoc_change_id", "assoc_change_cause_id", "assoc_asset_id", "custom_field"}, {"Column1.cc_email", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.deleted", "Column1.department_id_value", "Column1.display_id", "Column1.due_by", "Column1.email_config_id", "Column1.frDueBy", "Column1.fr_escalated", "Column1.group_id", "Column1.id", "Column1.isescalated", "Column1.owner_id", "Column1.priority", "Column1.requester_id", "Column1.responder_id", "Column1.source", "Column1.spam", "Column1.status", "Column1.subject", "Column1.ticket_type", "Column1.to_email", "Column1.updated_at", "Column1.description", "Column1.description_html", "Column1.status_name", "Column1.requester_status_name", "Column1.priority_name", "Column1.source_name", "Column1.requester_name", "Column1.responder_name", "Column1.to_emails", "Column1.department_name", "Column1.assoc_problem_id", "Column1.assoc_change_id", "Column1.assoc_change_cause_id", "Column1.assoc_asset_id", "Column1.custom_field"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "Column1.cc_email", {"cc_emails", "fwd_emails", "reply_cc", "tkt_cc"}, {"Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc"}),
#"Expanded Column1.custom_field" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email", "Column1.custom_field", {"level_2_12133", "level_3_12133", "preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "best_time_to_contact_12133", "phone_number_12133", "level_1_12133", "office_location_12133", "job_number_12133"}, {"Column1.custom_field.level_2_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_3_12133", "Column1.custom_field.preferred_method_of_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.best_time_to_contact_12133", "Column1.custom_field.phone_number_12133", "Column1.custom_field.level_1_12133", "Column1.custom_field.office_location_12133", "Column1.custom_field.job_number_12133"}),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.custom_field", "Column1.cc_email.cc_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.cc_emails", "Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.fwd_emails", "Column1.cc_email.reply_cc"),
#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Column1.cc_email.reply_cc", "Column1.cc_email.tkt_cc")
in

On Freshservice site, it says that to iterate through pages, we need to do this api pagination.jpg

let
in

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (1,171)