Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkMellink
Frequent Visitor

Responsive Hyperlink Action Button (Visual)

Hi,

I have the feeling that what I want to do is currently not possible with Power BI. But before submitting a feature request I thought I'd ask here.

I would like to have the option to click on a visual that links me to an external URL. Either through the use of 'chiclet-like' slicer buttons, or by right-clicking on bars or values in actual visuals.

Current case: 

I have a simple bar visual that shows sales value by accounts. I would like to be able to go to the account detail pages in Salesforce. Each account has a SalesforceURL value. Currently there are two ways that I have found to do this. But both are rather ugly solutions.

The first:

question.png

I added a table in the top with only the Salesforce URL field. When someone clicks on one of the accounts in the visual below. The correct Salesforce URL is shown and a user can click on it to go to the details page. However, if none of the accounts are clicked, several URLs are shown, which is quite confusing for future users of this report.

Preferably I'd like the above table to not show when an account selection has not been made. Either way, this solution is rather ugly, I'd prefer to have some kind of hyperlink button (yes I know you can turn on hyperlink icons, but those aren't great either, as they're quite small and are not entirely clear what they do to other users).

A second option is right clicking a visual and clicking the "See Records" option, which allows the user to look up the Salesforce URL in the actual account record. However each account Record has 20+ columns. So this solution isn't that great either.

Is there another creative solution that someone has come up with before?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MarkMellink,

If I understand correctly, you want a functionality working as drill through. In other words, you want to jump to another visual or web page which shows corresonding details by clicking on any bar in chart. However, drill through is not a supported feature right now in desktop. 

Apart form the two workarounds you have mentioned above, I could not find any better choice. Personally, I would suggest you submit this feature request at this page, if it is mentioned by many users, our product team will consider adding it in later release. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

could you not use something like this?

not sure how you would implement it exactly but here is an example

https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/03/hasonevalue-vs-isfiltered-vs-hasonefilter/

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors