Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joaoantunes
Frequent Visitor

Resource utilization per day

Hello,

I have a bunch of information that i've get from a projects platform on  JSON format, this information contains things like tasks name, tasks owners, start date, end date, project name etc.

I need to create a simple visual way to see this info like on a timeline or simple "excel" view (tabular)

The demand of the customer its:

• Users on the lines
  • Dates on the collumns (daily)
  • Task info on the blocks
  • Projects name by color

So, more or less like this:

projects.PNG

Assignee are the users.

The main dificult i get here its a simple way to generate a timeline using the collumns, i need to have all the dates even if there's no task for anyone on that date.

Also, the dates should have the weekday too (monday...).

How can i acomplish this? i was thinking on using PowerBi but if i need to get to the basics (ex. Excel with automatic import of the JSON) i don't mind.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EricHulshof
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Heya,

You can use a matrix visual and plot a date-table as the columns. Linked to the orignal table. Then plot users on rows and task would be value in this case. 

Then you can use conditional formatting to create colors for projects.

Goodluck.

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
EricHulshof
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Heya,

You can use a matrix visual and plot a date-table as the columns. Linked to the orignal table. Then plot users on rows and task would be value in this case. 

Then you can use conditional formatting to create colors for projects.

Goodluck.

Quality over Quantity

Thats a great idea, but how to handle the "end dates"? 

For exemple some tasks might start at 10/02/2020 and end at 12/02/2020.

Also how can i handle the blank dates? i need them to appear to.

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi @joaoantunes ,

I think Gantt chart can help you.  Please reference the blogs and videos:

Power BI Custom Visuals - Gantt

How to Create an Amazing Gantt Chart in Power BI 

Schedule analysis using Gantt chart in Power BI Desktop 

GANTT chart visuals in Power BI

Create A Gantt Chart In Power BI With A Matrix Visual 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello!

Thanks for the idea. i've tested that and 2 more Gantt solutions that are avaliable on the PowerBi Marketplace.

The problem with that one you've sended (its my favorite btw) its that it doesn't say the week days on the top line.

image_thumb5.png

It should have like monday, thuesday...

Is it possible on that Gantt? if yes, how?

Thanks

Hi @joaoantunes ,

After trying a few times, I think it is not possible in Gantt chart to display days of the week in axis.  Sorry for that. If you really need to show them, maybe you could create a custom axis using text box manually. I get the idea from the vedio:  Create A Gantt Chart In Power BI With A Matrix Visual.  He created a Gantt chart with Matrix visual. The time axis on the visual is what he created manually.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi @joaoantunes ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution if you feel that makes sense. Welcome to share your own solution. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Do you have a date table in Power BI? if not you should add it and you will be able to show day names etc on the chart.

Quality over Quantity

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.