Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

woutertom
Regular Visitor

Resolving ambiguity issue

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the BI environment and I am looking to do the following (this is a simplification of the model): 

TABLE A (factbased):

Product category | sales value 

TABLE B (factbased): 

Page category | sessions 

TABLE C (Lookup table): 

product category (UID)

TABLE D (Lookup table): 

Page category (UID)) | product category 

Now here comes the tricky part. In table C, there's 2 different product categories (product A, product B). In table D, these two products are taken together (Product A & Product B). Ideally, one should of course split that column in table D, making one for Product A and one for Product B. This however, is not possible at the moment, and the aim is not to change this. The aim the following display situation: 

- display of sales value (from table A)

- display of sessions (from table B) 

- sliced up per product category (from table C)

We want the following to happen, if someone sliced the data on product A, the 'sales value' for product A is shown. If someone slices the data for product B, the 'sales value for product B is shown. For sessions, we would like to see the following: When sliced on product A, the sessions for product A & product B are shown. When sliced for product B, the sessions for product A & B are shown. 

Is there someone who could help me out on this matter. Initially, my idea was to create another lookuptable between C & D, table E, that has the following: 

TABLE E: 

Product A & B 

Not product A & B

And then add these labels to the C & D tables. But... an 'ambiguity error' occurred. Is there any way to work around this in a more efficient way, or can we maybe create a solution using DAX to work around this? 

Hope someone understands the problem and can help me out with this! 

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @woutertom,

Please respond me if you want to resolve your issue. If you got solution by other ways, welcome to share it, so that more people will get helpful information from here.

Thanks,
Angelia

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @woutertom,

It's hard to reproduce your scenario based on your description, is there relationship between them? could you please create dummy sample table and list the expected result for better analyzing.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.